We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

Greetings: We are family of 4 (mom/dad/2 adult kids), planning 15 days in Alaska, arriving midnight local time July 11 in ANC. Our itinerary is approximately set (have posted it completely in general Alaska forum), but still flexible at this point. We plan full day/night in Anchorage on July 12, possibly part of 13th as well, although 13th could be devoted to Matanuska Glacier visit. Our plan for ANC on July 12 is a) biking the Knowles Coastal Trail, b) Alaska Heritage Museum, c) horseback riding at Chugach state park. I have read other threads regarding various hiking opportunities in ANC, but we have other hikes planned on subsequent days. If July 12th is our only complete/solid day in ANC, is a), b), c) above really feasible? We are a hardy crew, but I don't want to exhaust the family on day one. My understanding is Matanuska Glacier is about an hour drive from ANC, thus my reasoning to consider visit and hike there on July 13. Look forward to your advice. Thanks............FJFOhio

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Matanuska Glacier
Matanuska Glacier
405 Reviews
Alaska
Chugach State Park
Chugach State Park
103 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

tripadvisor.com/…55590018 .

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

We bike the coastal trail all the way into Kincaid park, which is a hardy climb where MrCat rides & I push the last of the ascent. So the coastal ride can be a short out & back to say, Westchester lagoon, or all the way up into Kincaid & back.

I have never done the horseback riding on the hillside but perhaps you are thinking of the stables by the zoo.

If you are set on both, plus the Native Center, which takes a couple of hours, you might want to go back to your original plan for Anchorage & do one the following morning. I can't imagine doing all 3 in one day, especially after a midnight arrival.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 13:33
Mentioned in this post
Kincaid Park
Kincaid Park
297 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
595 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

Matanuska Glacier is more like 2 hours from Anchorage. A local could be more specific. It is close to an hour just to get to Wasilla or Palmer.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

Thanks for noticing that, debbiejo!! Good catch!

Yes,Matanuska Glacier is 100 miles, or at least 2 hours from Anchorage.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 14:06
Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Anchorage as start of 15 day Alaska vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:19