We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

Kingston Springs...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

ideally a 15 passenger van. they seem to be sparse and very expensive. Do you think a Minivan with luggage for 5 days (then laundry) would work....much cheaper. I notice a good minivan price in Wasilla? Any advice. Maybe I'm too tight or broke to come to Alaska, but I must do it. Done bought air tickets and some lodging.

Mentioned in this post
Wasilla
Wasilla
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Sturgeon
Level Contributor
545 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

We have owned several mini vans over the years, most of them the Grand Caravan which is one of the largest cargo space mini vans. I see no way 5 adults and 2 children could comfortably travel in a mini van for 17 days with all the luggage you would have in Alaska without a car top carrier. Seems like I had found a place in Anchorage with that had custom full sized vans for rent, which would be much better. I'll see if I can find my notes. I know you want to keep everyone together, but 2 mini vans or a mini van and a compact car would maybe be cheaper than a 15 passenger van. Much easier on your sanity!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

Second what R0t0 says......how would you get to Wasilla to pick up that bargain rental car, anyway ??

What is your itinerary ??.......that would help folks to make more specific suggestions on your vehicle rental......

Mentioned in this post
Wasilla
Wasilla
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

I'd prefer 2 mini vans. That would increase options if people occasionally wanted to do different activities.

Kingston Springs...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

Three of us would get a bus to Wasilla that AM and come back to Anchorage for 2 nights where the others would be.; 3 nights in Healy, 2 nights in Fairbanks, down to Glennallen - 2 nights; 4 nights in Seward, 2 nights in Kenai, back to airport maybe 1400 miles. It's the type travel I've done since the 1960's.

I'd think a good reliable 15 passenger van for say $1800 plus insurance costs should be available, But doesn't seem to be near that yet unless something breaks other than my wallet. Wasilla's Minivan for that 16 days is about $1100 (I think a super price) from a famous company that doesn't allow luggage racks.

Mentioned in this post
Wasilla
Wasilla
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

Does the bus to Wasilla stop near this business? Is it Enterprise? If Enterprise you will need to get a cab to pick up the vehicle or will they come get you? If I were you I would rent 2 mid size cars, for flexibility and comfort.

What are you doing in Glennallen for 2 nights? That is a lot of time to spend in Glennallen. Same with Kenai, unless you have specific plans. I might suggest Homer over Kenai.

Mentioned in this post
Wasilla
Wasilla
Alaska
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Kingston Springs...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

Some of the family might fish in one of those towns that starts with a G maybe Gulkano??? We might fly for an hour or two into Wrangell - St Elias.

Kenai: Some might fish. I might piddle in Old town and look at the beach Two nights is just one day and maybe a little of another. I've never had problems finding things to do even in the remote of the 47 states I've traveled (well, one President once said 57 states).

Fiolks! I'm appreciating the response and the help. This is a good exchange that Trip Advisor provides.

Mentioned in this post
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

The bus that comes out to the Valley is Valley Mover. They just have a couple of stops. There's the Park & Ride at Trunk Road,and the Fred Meyers. They might also stop at the Park & Ride on Seward Meridian by Sears. This stop would just be a mile walk to the Enterprise rental location. If you get off at the Trunk Road stop, it would be a couple of miles of walking.

Kingston Springs...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

Great help. I'm supposed to hit the treadmill 5 times a week anyway and this one would count. Plus a country hick like me would like to try a city bus again. I did one well in SF two yrs. ago.

9. Re: 5 adults and 2 children coming to Anchorage in June 17 nites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:20