We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days needed yo see Anchorage

Calgary
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
How many days needed yo see Anchorage

Taking cruise to Anchorage, plan on staying before flying home. Would like to do train trip while there. How many days needed to see hi-lites of Anchorage ? Arrive 6 am on a sunday, can stay 3 or 4 nights max. Is two full days enough ?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

What port does your cruise arrive in? What do you want to see and do? Are you interested in seeing anything but Anchorage?

Calgary
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

Arrive Seward, fly out Anchorage. Very flexible, just want to see the most in a short period of time

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

The train part is easy, as you can take the train from Seward to Anchorage. :)

If I had a few extra days, I would stay one day in Seward and then maybe 2 in Anchorage, though I would rather get out and about than see a city - all depends what you want to see and do. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

If you want to stick just to Anchorage you could easily keep busy or 2 or3 full days; but you'd also be missing the best part of Alaska that are relatively close to Anchorage.

If you have cruise transfers from Seward to Anchorage, I'd pick up a rental car in Anchorage and spend a day or two touring the Gridwood/Portage/Whittier area and then do a day trip out the Glenn Hwy to do a trek on the Matanuska Glacier. With time left over, I'd do a few activities within Anchorage

You could also use the time and head up to Denali and take a shuttle into the park for viewing/hiking. You should spend at least 2 nights up there for this.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
354 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

I found that one day was enough to explore Anchorage itself. You could use the extra time to visit places on the outskirts of the city.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

It really depends if you prefer cities when you vacation or if you prefer Mother Nature. Since my choice is always scenery, my suggestion (if you have a similar interest) would be to debark your ship on Sunday and take either a six hour (at 11:30 a.m.) or nine hour Kenai Fords boat tour (at 9:00 a.m.). There is also an 8:00 a.m. six hour tour, if you want to start your day sooner.

With the 11:30 a.m. or 9:00 a.m. tour you could then finish your day by checking into your lodging and going out for dinner. On Monday, you could visit Exit Glacier and the Sea Life Center. The 6:00 p.m. train to Anchorage would give you your train ride and this is an awesome train ride. It is considered the most scenic train ride in the interior of Alaska. Here are some links for the boat tours:

Nine hour Tour:

kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/…

Six hour Tour:

kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/…

https:/…tour_10000

We rented a car after our Kenai Fjords Tour and drove to our lodging and then had the car until just before we took the train the following day. Hertz is a very short walk to the train station. My DH dropped me off at the train station with the luggage and then he turned the car in, and walked over to the train station. Many people will tell you that you don't need a rental car and I agree that it is not necessary. However, we liked the convenience of having the car. We were able to go where we wanted when we wanted without having to wait for a taxi or shuttle. We just prefer having our own car. It can work either way.

There are other options in Seward too. It boils down to what your interests are:

cmdev.seward.com/list/QL/what-to-do-30.htm

As far as Anchorage, I suggest you read up on what there is to do there and see if there is enough that interests you. We did spend a total of three nights in Anchorage. Two before heading to Denali and one after Denali. We rented a car and took one day to drive the Turnagain Arm, which is a worthwhile day. Here is a guide to places you could stop along the way:

www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

We also visited the Alaska Heritage Center, which we enjoyed for what it was, but it wasn't a highlight. Others truly find it an awesome experience. We basically used it as a time filler:

http://www.alaskanative.net/

If you are the active type, there is the Tony Knowles Trail that you can rent bikes for.

http://anchoragecoastaltrail.com/

My suggestion is to do a little more homework and then decide how many days you need to do all that interests you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

HappyTraveler provides great advice.

Personally, I too would spend a day or two between Seward & Anchorage. OR . . . three or four (time permitting) north to include Denali NP.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

personally, all I need to see of Los anchorage is what I see as I leave the airport, and when I make my way back to fly out:)

But seriously, I don't mean to minimize what I'm sure are the many virtues of Anchorage, but I can visit cites around here...wild Alaska is what I go to see, and experience.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 19:16
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

Having lived in "larger" cities (e.g. Boston, Miami, Tampa, etc.) I love when the people up here who live outside of Anchorage call it Los Anchorage. Compared to Fairbanks, Seward, Homer, Valdez, etc. it certainly could be well though of as that. Also, compared to what Alaskan destinations outside of ANC have to offer as to nature, once again it doesn't compare.

But, as a city it is completely different then any other in North America. I live in Anchorage and it is the most "nature infested" place imaginable. Bears (black are common and grizzly are not a rarity within the city). I have seen 3 moose just today chewing branches in my neighbourhood. Add to that eagles, beaver, spawning salmon and occasionally wolves; it's far from a big city. Heck, other than maybe at dinner/morning traffic there's not a set of traffic lights that you'll ever wait more than one change to get through.

We have hundreds of miles of trails accessible to people (and bears & moose) within the city and can fish for king salmon downtown. I've bicycled to work (in the winter too - studded tires), skied to work, and snowshoed to work. Add in Girdwood, Portage, Whittier, Palmer, Wasilla, Hatcher Pass, etc all within a 90 minute drive and you can have an amazing AK experience without getting to far away.

As good as I think Anchorage is, the rest is even better. Anchorage is an A, the rest of AK is an A+!!!!!!

:)

10. Re: How many days needed yo see Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16