We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage to healy

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage to healy

Hi! I only have two full days in Anchorage and I want to reach Healy so bad to see the fake magic bus located at 49state Brewing co . Any of you can suggest the fastest way to reach it? Thank you

Do you recommend the train? Or a car?

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
530 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage to healy

If time is critical, hands down, a car

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage to healy

Mmm. Sounds like the best option.. Thanks.. Even if I am a solo woman traveler. Is it safe on the road for a woman on her own?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage to healy

5 or 6 hours each way just to see a "fake bus"......regardless of it being safe for a woman on her own to drive there, it is a waste of your time in Alaska, in my opinion......

Hope you are spending more time on your travels and seeing more interesting sights.....

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage to healy

I am staying in Juneau Also running a half marathon before flying to Anchorage And doing other sights in Anchorage . But since I want to see the bus and not risk my life in the forest, I thought the fake option was the safest. So you confirm it is a 5 hour drive each way?

Thanks

I am open to all ( safe) options

PS I am travelng from Italy ..

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
530 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage to healy

5 hours normally, but who knows with road construction and accidents. No guarantees

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage to healy

Ok! Thank you !!! Fingers crossed

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage to healy

Are you seriously going just for the bus in the movie and not to get into the park at all? Wow, what a shame. But as I say, your loss is my gain - the park remains less crowded when people like you go all that way and don't take a shuttle bus into the park :-).

When you say you have two full days in Anchorage, I assume that means three nights? Also, I assume you will be spending a night in the Healy/Denali area. Trying to do that round trip from Anchorage in one day is crazy. They have already been warning for months that the Parks Highway between Anchorage and Healy will have multiple construction delays. So 5 hours each way can easily turn into 7-8 hours each way with construction delays, slow RV's and a brief lunch stop.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 18:01
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage to healy

Here's the Google Map of your route from Anchorage: https://goo.gl/maps/UeO5C

Google Maps is good for showing accurate distance, but it woefully underestimates the driving time. It'll be about 7 hour drive.

If you can squeeze out another day, taking the shuttle bus into the Denali National Park is well worth the time.

nps.gov/dena/…visiting-denali.htm

I'm all for doing long drives for a silly reason, but I would also advise against trying to do this trip in one day.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,289 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage to healy

Make sure you eat a meal at the Brewery while you are there - great food! :)

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage to healy

Thank you so much for the link!!! Precious

And yes, I am doing my best to change my flight even if this will mean paying an extra fee.. Deffo wanna see the park