We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the last week of May 2014

San Francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving the last week of May 2014

We are planning a trip over Memorial Day weekend. Are there any snow/driving safety concerns (understanding that no one can promise the weather) with driving from Anchorage to Denali to Talkeetna and back to Anchorage that weekend? Or by the 25th of May is it typically clear?

We can drive in snow, just don't want to get completely snowed in on that loop drive. We'll take trains if that makes more sense.

Thanks in advance!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the last week of May 2014

It would be rare to have snow on the roads that late in May. However Exit Glacier Road might not be open by then. Same with Hatcher Pass.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 10:43
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the last week of May 2014

Hatcher Pass road on the Palmer side to the mine is open all year as they groom ski trails around Independence mine (a fun way to see the mine!)

I don't think I've ever had snow driving up that time of year, but have experienced snow IN the park on the higher slopes.

Reyna, hope you are taking a shuttle to Toklat! It's a fun time to be in the park as I've found the wildlife is often still down low near the road.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 14:23
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the last week of May 2014

Sorry for not being clearer - the road over Hatcher Pass is usually closed till early July. But most rental car companies dont allow their cars on that road anyway.

Yes I drove to Independence Mine area in early May one year. Road was open and snow-free but lots of snow around.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving the last week of May 2014

I will agree with the two previous posters, you are extremely unlikely to run across fresh snow on the roads. You will be going into mountains and there it will be cooler, there will be snow at least scattered here and there, with the positive result that you should encounter no mosquitoes!

I stopped in the Alaska range one August to take some visitors into a friend's cabin in the wilderness. Walking back out we were greeted by a few scattered snowflakes, much to the joy of one visitor, who said she now had experienced snow in all 12 months!

It is well worth considering a snow ball fight or playing in the snow in whatever manner pleases you most. And when driving in the colder regions, watch for slick spots in shadows where thin ice may form temporarily. and disappear later in the day.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving the last week of May 2014

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence for driving! Very helpful forum. Much appreciated.

6. Re: Driving the last week of May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:15