We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about accomodation in Anchorage

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about accomodation in Anchorage

Hi All

Having read many of the forum posts and reviewed a lot of the accommodation on TA all I have managed to do is confuse myself about were to stay in Anchorage. We need accommodation two separate times in Anchorage only a few days apart.

The first time is one night after coming of a 14 day cruise having stayed one night in Ketchikan and the other time is three nights later need to stay two nights having just come back from Brooks Falls prior to our long haul flight home. This is all planned and some booked already for summer 2015.

We will have no car to get around and are not overly keen on chain hotels usually. However, the first time around we don't get to Anchorage until late afternoon and will have a weeks worth of laundry to do prior to leaving the next morning to Brooks. Then the second stay will be after having spend 3 days at Brooks - we are staying two nights (1day) prior to our long haul - reason being there is not guarantee what time we get back from Brooks and our long haul leaves early in the morning - so we have given ourselves a 'spare' day just in case.

So we need somewhere with good laundry facilities, is comfortable and not pokey, does not feel like a chain hotel and preferably has restaurant facilities if the weather is bad or we can't be bothered going somewhere to eat out. In addition the hubby while not liking chain hotels thinks it would be nice if the had a hot tub available. Also we would like to use the same place both times so we can leave extra luggage at the hotel/B&B and only take what we need for Brooks - rather than dragging all our gear there and back.

We have looked at B&B however thought they might be a bit confining after being 14 days on board a ship or staying in a cabin. Also hubby thought her would like to get away from the mosquitos for a while which I gather will be bad at that time.

Any thoughts/suggestions/insights would be welcome. We still have time to make the decisions but would like to finalize things sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Kiwi

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about accomodation in Anchorage

'Also hubby thought her would like to get away from the mosquitos for a while which I gather will be bad at that time.'

You really don't have to worry about mosquitos in Anchorage proper unless you are in a park or wooded area. Sometimes they aren't even bad in those areas.

Having enough laundry facilities for a week's worth of laundry in one night and wanting a restaurant on-site says you'll be stuck with a chain hotel to me.

Be aware that they are quite a bit more expensive than a B&B. You'll spend $250-$300/night for a good hotel in Anchorage in the Summer. A B&B would run you about $150-ish.

Personally, I'd rent one of the two suites at Susitna Place B&B which are both big and have their own private balcony looking out on Mt Susitna and the Cook Inlet. Then I'd take a cab to a laundry mat (there's one about a $15 cab ride from the B&B mentioned) and take another cab to a restaurant if the weather is bad. A cab from the B&B to downtown would be about $10 at most and they don't mind holding luggage for you- my sister had them hold hers when she stayed there.

http://www.susitnaplace.com

Check out the Denali Suite- more room than a lot of hotels and they even have a private jetted tub.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 06:31
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about accomodation in Anchorage

We are staying at A Wildflower Inn two separate nights next week. We'll write a review when we return but it looks nice and offers a nice breakfast.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about accomodation in Anchorage

The Copper Whale Inn downtown would likely let you do laundry and you cannot beat the location or their comfy rooms.

4. Re: Confused about accomodation in Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16