We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali or Seward?

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Denali or Seward?

My boyfriend and I are flying into Anchorage for the first week of September (arriving late August 29, leaving early on Sept 7). We are both in our early 20's and are looking for an active vacation. We plan on doing a few things in Anchorage (Prince William Sound, Chugach National Forest) but then we are debating between going to Seward or Denali for the other part of our trip. Since both are a bit of a distance, we figured we could only fit in one. Does anyone have an opinion on which is more worthwhile? We enjoy hiking and kayaking and are really looking forward to seeing some great scenery and wildlife in Alaska. We do not plan on camping at any point in the trip.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 02:11
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,261 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali or Seward?

So you have 8 full days? I think I would do both! I would not miss Denali that is for sure! Got your car rented??

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali or Seward?

Coalminer is right on as usual. I would give up Anchorage for Denali & Seward combo. Potentially great time of year for Denali with fall tundra colors.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,197 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali or Seward?

Here's a quick non-explained recommendation of where to spend your nights. You can adjust nights 1 more or less in either direction. Anchorage is great, but when given only a week, see everything else first.l

night of:

29th - ANC

30th - Denali

31st - Denali

1st - Denali

2nd - Girdwood

3rd - Girdwood

4th - Seward

5th - Seward

6th - Seward

Good luck & enjoy,

Scott

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali or Seward?

No - one night at Girdwood, rest at Homer!

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali or Seward?

I agree, Priority 1 = Denali, 2 Seward kenai fiords full day tour

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,197 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denali or Seward?

I'd give up Seward for Homer (it's better fishing, far better restaurants, heading over to Halibut Cove &/or Seldovia) and/or Girdwood/Portage/Whittier. The only thing I've found in Seward that I can't get outside of Seward is the Harding Icefield. I can't find too many people though that agree; but doesn't being different keep the world interesting!

“If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking.” Benjamin Franklin

:) Scott

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denali or Seward?

Thank you all so much for the advice!! This is our first time in Alaska, and everything looks so beautiful it's been hard to decide. We've settled on going to Denali first after landing in Anchorage and then heading down to Seward for a couple days. If we have extra time, we'll explore Anchorage before getting back on the plane :)

8. Re: Denali or Seward?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:16