We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Trip Advise

Rogers, Arkansas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Alaska Trip Advise

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Alaska in summer this year (August 2014). We are planning to cover 3 cities, Anchorage, Seward and Denali in about 7 days 6 nights. I am confused about how much time should I spend in between these destinations.

So far I am planning,

Anchorage - 1 day, 1 night.

Seward - 2 nights

Denali - 2 nights

Also confused about prince william sound vs kenai jford cruise? Is both worth to go or should I chose one, which one?

Please share your experience and advise. Thanks.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,706 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

Seven days will be a tight time frame for Denali and Seward, so you'll want to take advantage of every moment. Do you what day/time you be arriving and departing?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,178 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

Do share a bit more so we can better help you - hope you already have your car rental booked! :)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

You should plan a night between Seward and Denali, it is a very long drive with plenty of chances for traffic to be stopped or slowed. Yesterday they closed the highway for a bit to airlift a lost child, an accident will close the road and there are no detours, you just sit and wait. There is also plenty of construction to get in the way too. I would do first night in Anchorage depending on time of arrival then two nights in Seward, 1 night in transit (maybe Talkeetna) and then 2 nights in Denali with at least one full day trip into the park on the shuttle bus.

More information would be very helpful.

chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

Personally if on a tight timeframe (and if you are arriving at a decent time in Anchorage), I would skip Anchorage and drive straight to Seward. Stay in Seward 2 nights, then drive to Talkeetna (cool town,great flightseeing) for one night, then to Denali for 2 nights. You could drive back on Day six from Denali to Anchorage early and see Anchorage during the day, depending on your flight times. Anchorage is pretty small and you could easily see some major points (museums, waterfront) in 1/2 day.

chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

FYI - If you are talking about boat tours there are two primary types, Glacier cruises (where you see spectacular glaciers) or wildlife cruises (where you see whale etc plus options to see a tidewater glacier or two). The wildlife cruises are out of Seward which is about 2.5 hours south'ish of Anchorage. Glacier cruises are done on Prince William Sound which is located in Whittier which is about 1.5 hours south'ish of Anchorage. You won't really see much wildlife on the glacier cruises. If you go to Seward and drive back to anchorage you would need to stop in Whittier Alaska if you wanted to take a cruise on the Sound. That could be done, but getting into Whittier is interesting as you have to take a 2 mile old military tunnel that is one lane and is shared with the railroad. See the main topics on the right hand side of the forum page or look up Whittier tunnel. There is a charge to go thru the tunnel and if you are running late for a boat out of Whittier you have to make sure you allow up to 1/2 hour if you don't time the tunnel right.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 01:06
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,178 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

I would say it would depend on their flights - most people are tired when they arrive in Anchorage - they have usually been flying most of the day - and their is usually 3-4 time zones off . . . so sleeping in Anchorage first is usually recommended. Also - depends when they land as well. :)

chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

Traveler could do this all by train and save the driving! Anch-Seward-Denali-Anchorage!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

Anchorage is small? it's over 1700 square miles! I've probably spent a solid 4+ weeks in Anchorage and still haven't seen half of it's attractions.

Monroe, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

We are doing a very similar trip in late August and early September

(7 nights 8 days).

I solicited advice from these fine folks and some others. For what its worth we are using a rental car. Arrive mid afternoon in Anchorage. overnight at Alyeska resort 40 miles south toward Seward. Then two nights in Seward doing the Kenia fyords tour and the simulated dogsled ride. Then one night in Talkeetna doing the flight seeing tour. Then two nights at Denali doing the full day Denali Backcountry tour on day 6. Return to Anchorage on day 7 for one night downtown and early flight out on day 8. This will be our first trip to Alaska.

We did our research of what we wanted to do and used a local travel agent to make the reservations. We saved money by doing so. She did part of the trip with Delta Vacations and part with Alaska Denali Travel. Hope this helps.

10. Re: Alaska Trip Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17