We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
People

I know that everyone is different and so are personalities. I would just like to know basically how are the people in Anchorage. I have been getting different views and different experiences from many who have traveled there. I would think it would be like any where else. Please Advise. Thanks Aulani

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People

Anchorage may not be as friendly as other smaller towns but I think in general people are very friendly and helpful if you ask. You will find most Alaska residents are happy to share their great state with travelers and will help you when asked. If you meet a cranky one just move on and don't take it personally.

PA
Level Contributor
795 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People

We had great experiences with all the people we encountered throughout Alaska. We met many very friendly and helpful people in Anchorage:)

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People

Like anywhere, it depends on who you are running into. In the Southeast, we were running into a lot of other tourists and they were quite rude - walking on the sidewalk without making room for others, walking diagonally when crossing a street outside the cross walk so that you had to wait even longer for them to get across, never saying excuse me, etc. So, if you are running into the same types of folks, don't assume it's locals being jerks. I'm betting it's a bit like Honolulu- some locals can get sick of the tourists, but I find most Anchorage people to be friendly.

The locals in the smaller locales are the same as in Anchorage, some nice, some less so. I find Anchorage people to be a lot nicer than other city people. In fact, I think they are a lot of small town people rolled up into a larger place. Folks will offer you a spot in the check-out line ahead of them if you only have a couple items, they'll chat with you while waiting if you strike up a conversation, and if you are polite, they will usually stop what they are doing to give you directions if you are lost.

Hope you have a good visit.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People

Most Alaskan are very friendly and laid back, though not quite as much as the residents of Hawaii. :)

Edited: 06 August 2014, 01:46
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: People

One thing many people don't appreciate much at first is that Anchorage is to some extent two communities - one civilian and one military. There are something like 30,000 military personnel and families at JBER - Joint Base Elmendorf (USAF) Richardson (Army) and this has a strong impact on many aspects of life, from recreation to shopping, housing and schools. Alaska is already more of a transient place than many; the military influence in Anchorage adds to this.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
110 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People

Thank you all for your response. My friend is from Anchorage and he's really great and so is his family. I really appreciate your comments. I know that all cities have their positives. Thank you again. I really can't wait to get to Anchorage. Mahalo for your time Kawananaaulani

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People

I'll second what Alaskantiger said. Anchorage is one of my favorite cities and I'll chalk it up to the residents. I have met millionaires and street people and enjoyed both groups. I've had coffee in the back rooms of local shops and have had invitations from locals that I'd just met on the streets. I've made more life long friends than I have from any other city I've ever visited. But people are people. If you show interest in them and treat them with respect, they will return the same to you.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: People

Might be of interest to you that Anchorage school district has approximately 90 different home languages amongst its population. Very excitingly multicultural town!

Enjoy, Kawananaaulani1

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: People

Oh, what the heck, people are people regardless. We went into Homer yesterday to do our weekly shopping and felt they were no giving me enough room in the aisles. What does that mean? It all depends on your own attitude. I feel if you are pleasant you will get the same in return. Many years ago in the 1980s we were in NYC riding the subway and the locals were very friendly, which was unexpeacted for me as I grew up in the area.

And, after travelling the world I have found Americans to be the friendliest of all. Oh yes, our Canadian neighbors and the Aussies are great too.

10. Re: People

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16