We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Since we'll have opportunities to be at several villages on their Market Day (Gordes-Tue, Saint Remy-Wed, Arles-Sat) we're wondering if skipping the Sunday Market at Isle sur la Sorgue and going there on Monday instead is a good alternative. It sounds as if we'll miss the Sunday crowds (if there are crowds in Oct & November) and not have trouble parking as well as be heading towards Fontaine de Vaucluse and our destination hotel in Bonnieux rather than looping away from it and increasing our driving time. So what I'd like to know is if the established shops, antique and brocade dealers are open on Mondays, specifically October 31 and will we see the same or similar vendors and items at the other markets that we missed in Isle?

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

I am not a great fan of Isle sur la Sorgues Sunday market. That said the only times I will visit it are outside of the main tourist season.

Appart from the "antiques" on Sunday the other stalls are very much the same as any other Provencial market. What makes the visit to Sorgues worth it is the water that flows through the village and the village centre itself.

The additional driving time is not great if you were to go on Sunday. If you visit on Monday it is likely that a number of the shops including the "antique" shops will be shut.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Toussaint is a holiday in much of France, and the combination of a holiday and a Monday means that a visit to Isle sur la Sorgue would leave you primarily admiring the shuttered shops and buildings.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Thank you for the information. I've read that many restaurants and shops close over "school holiday" in November and completely forgot about All Saints. Do the Cave's and wineries in the Rhone remain open for tastings then?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Depends on the individual place -- there's no "average"

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

If you want to visit l'Isle but not the market I would pick Friday or Saturday, when everything that is open at that time if year will be open.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Thanks Chic! Good idea

Sat seems best but now I'm curious Will Gordes have it's normal Tuesday market day on Nov 1, All Saints Day? We were planning to attend that then visit the Abbaye de Senanque and if time permitted, drive up to see the Gorges de Nesque before returning to our home base in Bonnieux, or perhaps if still daylight and time, catch some time in Roussillon on the way back.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

Yes, markets will still be on -- but it's not uncommon to see some of the stalls closed up, as the proprietors are on vacation.

8. Re: Is monday a better day to visit Isle sur la Sorgue in Nov?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:19