We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elevation in Lava Beds National Monument

NY, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Elevation in Lava Beds National Monument

Hello!

I am planning a visit to the Lava Beds National Monument, but my boyfriend is prone to suffering from altitude sickness. We were at 5,500-7000 feet in Yosemite, and he could hardly breathe. Could anyone tell me the elevation of the park? If there are any areas below 5k feet, could you tell me where to find them?

Thanks so much!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,151 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elevation in Lava Beds National Monument

"Park elevations range from 4,000 to 5,700 feet." www.nps.gov/labe/planyourvisit/weather.htm I think you may have to contact the rangers at Lava Beds directly to ask about where to stay in the lower elevations.

Also, some people do better if they make a gradual ascent to the higher altitudes. You & your boyfriend might need to stay around 2500 or 3000 feet for a night, then up to 4000, then finally to the various National Monument destinations.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elevation in Lava Beds National Monument

Great! Thank you so much for the advice. He's actually going to be in Reno for about a week before we go, and I think that's about 4500. So, hopefully he'll be acclimated by the time we head toward the lava beds!

3. Re: Elevation in Lava Beds National Monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2011, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Tulelake
Recent Conversations