We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Which Omaha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

We will be in Omaha/CB next week for a couple of nights and I'm looking for a really good non-chain pizza joint. Somewhere that does something more than your standard pepperoni/hamburger/sausage etc pizza. Suggestions?

Any place (other than Hy-Vee, Kum and Go and Casey's) do breakfast pizza?

Thanks,

B

Bellevue, Nebraska
Level Contributor
228 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Depends on where you are going/where you are staying. I like Zio's downtown. New York style pizza. There is also:

Orsi's which is on 6th and Pacific. Close to downtown.

La Casa 45th and Leavenworth

Sortino's off of 79th and L Street. Classic pizza but very good.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Omaha
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Well I am a Chicago native and I can assure you that there is no ' Great ' pizza in Omaha ( you can find good ) - at least that I have found or my other transplant relatives have found here. The locals have grown up with some really iffy stuff that they think is great - and God Bless them, they don't know any better but they enjoy it. :-) Sortino's ? Ya godda be kidding thats where you take the kids baseball team after the game. Big Fred's - ouch nasty stuff. . Zio's ? Yeah, its pretty good but its New York style - that subtracts a point in my book right there ( Go White Sox ) ! Pudgy's purports to have Chicago style pizza out Southwest - and he tries hard and comes close, have to give him credit for that.

Best bet for something interesting might be one of the new places that has a coal fired ( Pitch on 50th and Underwood ) or wood fired oven. One place that has great food and also wood fired Neopolitan style pizza's is Dante's at 168th and Center we like the regular food there so I cant get to ordering a pizza but I bet they are good - they look good. Google those and get an idea..

Any other locals PLEASE post some more places I can try after 20 years here I am tapped out and make my own pizza at home when I want a good one. I would love to change my opinion and say there is a great pizza place here!

Wherever you end up - have fun and welcome to the area and have a great trip.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Thanks for the idea's.

Greyhorse, Are you saying I won't find anything that will compare to Lou's or Gino's in Omaha? LOL

B

omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

No Gino's here!!! Zio's is in Old Market, near 80th & Dodge, and about 124th & Center; it is very good, made to order but it is thin New York style. If you do La Casa near 35th & Leavenworth or 84th & Grover it is Sicilian style, once again good, but different

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

It's impossible to find a deep dish around here! I wish someone would open a great deep dish place in town. My favorite places in Omaha are Zio's and La Casa. Mama's is also very popular.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Thanks, leaning toward Zio's. Looks like they have some interesting pizza's.

Any other suggestions?

B

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
45 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Basically the places that have been mentioned are the ones worth trying. Lots of good, nothing I'd dream about.

Orsi's is different, but I found it very delicious. Hard to describe, but the one close to downtown is carryout only and not really close to anything. La Casa is a favorite for a lot of people. Zios is New York-ish. Both of the new wood fire places are pretty good--Dante's and Pitch. Both are kind of hip places still, but Dante's has a more relaxed atmosphere.

Sgt Peffer's I guess does pizza, but I'd go to any of the above places before there. Avoid Sam & Louie's.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 05:26
Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Omaha
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

No - nothing like Gino's or Uno's or Malnati's , nor stuffed like Giordano's. We do order some from back there now and then in the winter - comes frozen.

They pretty much use pre cooked sausage balls or crumbles , not fresh hand placed sausage. most of the thin crust is soft and wobbly not properly crisp like a cracker - except the wood fired places which have a nice crust.

I grew up near this place and this is how thin crust is done in my book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cCoOOrdj68

Diners Drive-ins and Dives TV show - Vito and Nick's Pizzeria

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

Great, now I'm hungry for thin crust and Chicago style pizza. So much pizza so little time.

B

10. Re: Is there a really good pizza joint in the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Omaha