We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Henry Doorly Zoo

Which Omaha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Michigan...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Henry Doorly Zoo

My wife and I (no kids) are planning on visiting Omaha and we would like to see the Henry Doorly Zoo. Do you think we would be able to see everything at the zoo in one day? We are wondering if we should just plan on spending one day at the zoo, or split it up and spend a couple days there? We would probably get there when they open around nine and stay until close at 5 if it would even take that long. Thanks for the help!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Henry Doorly Zoo

If you are there during the week on a day when its not a ' Zoo ' ( LOL ) you can see just about everything in one day - for sure you can catch all the best things. My wife and I were able to hit almost everything one day when we started at 1000 and left at closing. Best bet is to review the map, note the things that you most want to see and work out the best path to hit them . We went back on a weekend to see the things we missed that that day and we could hardly move through some exhibits because the crowds were so large - it was actually so crowded in some areas that I would have preferred to be there on a different day.

So I would go on a weekday if possible and yes get there early and wear comfortable shoes.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Henry Doorly Zoo

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is a main attraction so it is quite busy on the weekends. As the previous responder states, it can be quite crowded on the weekends but I have never found it too difficult unless it is either a holiday weekend, during College World Series, Mother's Day, or other special event times in Omaha.

I would expect you would probably want to break it up into two visits simply because there is so much to see. Can it be done in one day? Yes, but you are rushing some of what makes it special. If you plan to sit and enjoy the butterfly exhibit and have them land on your head to "feed" on your sweat, that takes time or If you just want to spend 5 minutes walking through to say you were there, makes all the difference in the world. Depending on whether you want to "walk through" to say you were there or actually experience the entire zoo, makes the answer simple for you. I am a zoo member and I go regularly so I experience different areas of the zoo each time.

While you are here, make sure you enjoy the Old Market area. Whether for food or shopping, it is a place to enjoy and enjoy experience. The Visitor's Center is one place to stop to see what else is going on. Lauritzen Gardens is another superior place to walk. The gardens are a truly wonderful place to visit.

Welcome to Omaha! Enjoy your visit. If you are taking a taxi, it takes about 20 minutes to get a cab when you cal dispatch. It is customary to tip the taxi driver a minimum of $2 or 15%, which ever is greater. If you need a bus, there is plenty of public transportation in the area.

Jackson, Michigan...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Henry Doorly Zoo

Thanks for the information guys, really appreciate it!

Benicia
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Henry Doorly Zoo

You can certainly see the best parts in one day. It's really a fantastic zoo (as good as San Diego, if not better). Don't miss the underground part of the desert dome- amazing! It's very dark in there- like the Bayou at night- so if you children are in the fear-of-the-dark phase, be forewarned. But otherwise it unique- haven't seen anything like it at any zoo anywhere. The lemur exhibit and gorilla habitat are also great. There's a wonderful aviary and many, many other attractions. The zoo isn't physically as large as San Diego's zoo, so it's more walkable. But there's also a train and a tram. Don't miss the petting zoo for little kids over two (those goats do have horns- toddlers beware!) and the sting ray petting pool- fabulous! Don't worry the stinging barbs have been removed- and the rays seem to love it as much as the people. It's a wonderful place- I hope you and your family will enjoy it as much as we did!

5. Re: Henry Doorly Zoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Omaha