We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom's Day Out

Winona, Minnesota
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mom's Day Out

Our family will be in town for a reunion and we are looking to plan a Mom's outing. Any suggestions for fun places to go?

omaha nebraska
Level Contributor
118 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom's Day Out

Hi Dana K - Without knowing your interests or your time frame I can throw out a few ideas:

go to the Old Market area and spend a few hours shopping, eating, gallery hopping and strolling. Popular restaurants there include M's Pub, Upstream Brewing, La Buvette, Vivace, Stokes, Blue- there are so many places to eat. On Saturday mornings there is a wonderful farmers market down there. Ted and Wallys Ice Cream, antique shops, Nouvelle Eve for womens clothes - just lots to explore there.

The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is always enjoyable for visitors - you can stand with one foot in Iowa and the other in NE. And get a nice view of the river and the skyline.

Top museums are the lovely Joslyn (with a recently discovered Rembrandt) and the Durham Western Heritage (part of the Smithsonian group) in a gorgeous old train terminal (and near the Old Market).

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the number one attraction in Omaha (but not sure if it fits the bill for a Mom's outing without kids) is the zoo. World class and worth a full day.

There are other areas of town to explore - and I haven't covered nightlife at all. I'll let someone younger cover that - although I can recommend the Dundee or Benson neighborhoods in addition to the Old Market for bars and restaurants. Good spots for indie music would be the Slowdown, and the Waiting Room, and the art cinema is called Film Streams.

Let me know if you have more specific questions and I could try to help! Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
M's Pub
M's Pub
670 Reviews
Omaha, NE
La Buvette
La Buvette
231 Reviews
Omaha, NE
Vivace
Vivace
180 Reviews
Omaha, NE
Nouvelle Eve
Nouvelle Eve
5 Reviews
Omaha, NE
Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
Bob Kerrey Pedestrian...
1,150 Reviews
Omaha, NE
Iowa
Iowa
United States
Slowdown
Slowdown
9 Reviews
Omaha, NE
Film Streams
Film Streams
51 Reviews
Omaha, NE
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom's Day Out

Panache Day Salon ( http://www.panachehairandskin.com/index.html ) gets my vote. An awesome day out for all Moms.

If you are looking for shopping there is everything from the Gretna Outlet Mall to Village Point, Westroads, Oak View and plenty of other shopping malls. However, since you are not from Omaha, I take it, I would DEFINITELY agree that the Old Market is the place to see. It has lots of restaurants to enjoy for breakfast, coffee, lunch, dinner and late night snacks. The Old Market is known for shopping. You can find everything from art to clothing, from hand made jewelry to hand made clothing and furniture. There are lots of street vendors in the farmer's market and you will find a few street performers who provide pleasant music and a few laughs. It is definitely the place to spend time laughing and being an adult of any age. There are also horse drawn carriages for a fun way to see the Market.

Nearby, at 1301 Nicholas, is the Hot Shops Art Center. The vendors are pretty consistent but there are new ones all the time. It is not technically in the Old Market, but is a wonderful, old, 3-story building, (without an elevator!) full of artists with hand made products at a reasonable price. These items include everything from hand-blown glass to pottery, quilts, paintings and sculpture. Everything hand made and everything with fantastic detail. Most artists are on site for discussion, requests for specialty items, negotiation of pricing and it is a wonderful adult place. There are too many breakables for the kids, but adults of all ages love it. There are a variety of small art shops and galleries as well as a couple of museums in Omaha which draw quite a few visitors. My recommendation is that you check www.slamomaha.com and click on the left side for Art "related links", which lists art galleries and related art locations, if art is something you would enjoy!

Hope this helps, welcome to Omaha and enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
Hot Shops Art Center
Hot Shops Art Center
82 Reviews
Omaha, NE
3. Re: Mom's Day Out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Omaha
Recent Conversations