We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expert knowledge please!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
expert knowledge please!

hi

we're looking at Sissi for next september but would value any expert opinions.

we're a middle aged couple who like a fairly quiet place with tavernas serving authentic greek food and a few bars - not nightclubs - those days are well behind us!

we like the beach but its not essential and also somewhere no too hilly

we've been to Bali before and really liked it but it is very small and very hilly

we've just come back from Stoupa on the Peloponese which was fabulous but we love Crete and would like to go back

any suggestions/info please

thanks

Sissi Mini Golf
Playgrounds, Game & Entertainment Centres, Mini Golf
Crete Safari
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expert knowledge please!

Hi there

Yes Sissi would definately tick all your boxes, its a lovely resort with a pretty harbour area, and a short transfer time from the airport too. Sorry I cant compare it to Bali as I have only been here once and that was just for quick stop off for a coffee on our way to Chania, but I am sure someone else will be able to give you a comparison..

Another resort that would also suit you too would be Elounda, larger than Sissi and just under an hours transfer time from the airport....anyway heres a couple of links may be of interest to you :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvnhlAaaA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7vmtaitrPE

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expert knowledge please!

I would be a bit concerned that you might find Sissi too small - it's not really much bigger than Bali, although it does have a much more definite focal point around the lovely harbour, lined with tavernas.

Elounda may be more to your liking, but check the location of your accommodation carefully if you decide on there, because some of it is a good walk from the harbour area, and may also be uphill.

The beaches in Bali are (IMO) better than Elounda, and Sissi is some way behind, particularly if you want sand, unless you stay near the Kalimera Kriti hotel which doesn't really sound like your sort of place.

Elounda has more in the way of bus connections than Sissi, as Sissi is positioned slightly off the main highway and is only served by 1 or 2 buses per day in the village itself. Elounda has an hourly service to Ag. Nikolaos.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expert knowledge please!

Hi there

Sissi is a lovely little place, very laid back and with a great atmosphere. Here are some photos taken the last time I was there in late 2010 along with it's neighbouring village of Milatos.

flickr.com/photos/…

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expert knowledge please!

Sissi would be what you are looking for, We have been coming here for many years in September. The sea is warm, air temperature is not blisteringly hot and it is not to busy. Sissi is fairly flat, I personally like swimming & snorkeling in the harbour but there are other beaches within a few hundred yards walk. Very laid back entertainment. Neromilos serves wonderful greek food at around €25 for 3 course dinner with wine for two of you, Pink flamingo is another of my favorites. For a quiet evening drink 'The Jolly Rodger' or 'Hemingways' are both good places, both very different but with great hosts who will make you feel very much at home. Night clubs they did try to open one, but all the zimmer frames kept getting in the way.

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
152 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expert knowledge please!

I might be slightly biased, but I think Sissi would suit you especially in september. There are plenty of places to eat and drink during your holiday and no rowdy crowds.

it has a lovely little harbour and if you fancy doing a bit of walking, there are some great places to amble along to. there are obviously organised trips to do, but the bus service is very limited. Car hire is another option if you want to get out and about.

Wherever you decide to book, Crete is a lovely island and you'll be guaranteed fantastic weather, good food and drink

Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expert knowledge please!

Have a look at the traditional village of Panormo, which is 20 minutes drive from Rethymno. The way Crete was 30 years , unspoilt.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expert knowledge please!

My girlfriend is a fan of Stoupa having been there many times and she has completely fallen for Sissi.

That seems like a good recommendation for you to try out the charms of Sissi!

8. Re: expert knowledge please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations