We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A newbie to Crete

Forfar, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
A newbie to Crete

We have never been to Crete and have decided to come for a week 27th August to the hotel Alexandros in Sissi which seems to get very good reports. Is there anything in the area that you would class as must see or do, is the weather usually sunny end of August start of September? We are really looking forward to a change as we normally go the Canaries 4/5 times a year but are looking for somewhere different hopefully Crete will be the place, any information would be welcome.

Cheers

Jim

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,966 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A newbie to Crete

We are also visiting Sissi/Crete for the first time this summer and I was given some great tips and idea's on this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k62…

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A newbie to Crete

Hi There

Sissi is a lovely little resort with a pretty harbour area with some good tavernas too. Weather wise it is going to be very hot during the day and also at night too...

Must sees...depends on what you like really, and whether you have a car as the buses aren't that regular from Sissi, so if you don't mind driving that I would suggest you do hire a car - anyway as its your first trip to Crete I would suggest you have a look at the following and see if you are interested in visiting them:

Spinalonga Island (driving 25 min away)

explorecrete.com/crete-east/spinalonga.html

Knossos (driving 25 min away)

www.explorecrete.com/Knossos/knossos.html

Milatos village and caves ( driving 10 min away)

www.explorecrete.com/crete-east/milatos.html

If you do visit Milatos then I would recommend a long lunch at one of the lovely tavernas right on the beach

Lassithi Plateau (an hours driving away)

explorecrete.com/crete-east/lassithi-plateau…

And if you do like beaches, then have a look at the beautiful Voulisma beach or golden beach, by far the best beach on the north coast of Crete, and is just over 30 min driving time away from Sissi

cretanbeaches.com/Beaches/…

Once you have decided where you want to visit and if you are going to be hiring a car, then do come back for more information :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A newbie to Crete

Hi there

Looks like Jock and MG have it all covered....;0)

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A newbie to Crete

The Alexandros is a lovely hotel, run by a lovely family.

The food is excellent, depending on what basis you have booked, the harbour has great restaurants but if you don't fancy going down there every night then I can totally recommend eating at the hotel or the great Taverna Edem right across the road.

The only slight downside of the Alexandros is it has a small pool and you have to keep moving your bed to stay in the sun.

The weather even in sept is very warm day and night , we didn't even need to wear an extra layer at night, can be slightly breezy later on in sept but still very warm.

Enjoy !!!

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
147 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A newbie to Crete

Sissi will be very warm then. Locally Milatos is a lovely place to see with a visit up to the caves. The Alexandros is a great family run hotel where you will be well looked after. Explore the other tavernas and bars of the village. Lots of good nightlife still able to had in september. Do bring a cardie as the nights get cooler towards the end of sept

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A newbie to Crete

The "must do" in Sissi is enjoy yourself.

You now have endless lists of fascinating places to go and excellent taverna's to dine in.

Don't set yourself an agenda, go with the flow.

If you feel like getting up early one day to go for a wander about Crete, great, if you don't, great!

Enjoy Sissi!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A newbie to Crete

Hi again

Some photos of Sissi & Milatos from my last visit..

flickr.com/photos/…

Forfar, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A newbie to Crete

What is the happy train ? I have seen mention of it but cannot find much information about it can anyone help enlighten a confused old man !!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A newbie to Crete

See post 8 here for a definition from Tynecastle!!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k46…

and a photo here, copyright John Freeman:

http://tinyurl.com/kq6ustl

Edited: 04 June 2013, 15:13
10. Re: A newbie to Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations