We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Which Sissi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devon
Level Contributor
230 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

We ended up in Sissi by sheer fluke. We had originally chosen a hotel in Elounda and with only two weeks to go we found out the hotel was fully booked. After a few Google searches we found Sissi. Our minds were made up we were going there instead.

Our flight was 7am on Saturday 12th of July from Bristol and we landed in Heraklion at 12.45pm, we had pre-booked a taxi with Heraklion Taxi’s and the driver was waiting for us as we came out of arrivals. The cost one way was € 54.

The journey to Sissi was around 40 minutes and we were checking in to our chosen hotel, Angela Suites. After a very quick check in, we unpacked and then went out to have a quick look around Sissi and try and find our bearings. At this stage we were tired out as we had been up since 3am for our early morning flight.

Angela Suites is a couple of street’s behind the seafront so we wandered down to the harbor which took around five minutes and immediately decided that we liked the feel and vibe of the village. I’m not one for shopping usually but enjoyed browsing in the local shops and even bought a few things.

In short it was a quick week away and we went to eat, drink and sunbathe although we did agree that we would hire a car for a day and head off up to Elounda/Plaka to take a trip to Spinalonga. On the way back we drove to Milatos and Sun Beach for a nosy. Glad we stayed where we did.

We started each evening with a couple of drinks at the Sunset Bar to take in the wonderful sunset views, went for a meal and then ended the evening in the Jolly Roger. We had far too many late nights but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The average cost of a meal for us both with a litre of wine was around €30. We looked at trip advisor reviews for a few suggestions but our favorite was the new tavern Drosia which is on the main road in/out of Sissi. The beef stiffado was amazing!

All too soon it was the 19th and back to the airport for the journey home! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Crete and can’t wait to return again.

I’m better with photos than words, so if you fancy a look at my photo’s here is the link.

https:/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Hey and welcome Chanksie:-) Sounds absolutely ideal;-) Thanks for the wonderful share.. and loved that shot of the watermelon, cherries.. and couple of shots;-)) Happy to hear you totally Enjoyed!

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Some beautiful photos...especially of Spinalonga ..thank you for sharing

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,979 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Great read and photo's :-)

Devon
Level Contributor
230 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Thanks all, much appreciated. Wanted to spread the Sissi word, probably overlooked in favour of Elounda. I for one am glad the hotel in Elounda messed up :-)

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,410 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Love the report and photos - watching the sunset with a glass of wine - bliss :-)

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

We stayed in Sissi for the first time in June. So many of your photos are the same as ours as we watched the sunset from the same bar each night. Amazing!Went to Spinalonga and Plaka and loved watching the pirate ship each day too! Loved to watch it but wouldn't want to be on it.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Wonderful pictures! The pics of the wine sunsets put me in my happy place. One that struck me as particularly incredible is the narrow open door of the small stone building. Thanks for sharing.

Karen

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Great report but your pics are wonderful, very arty

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
130 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Glad you had a fab holiday. We loved having you, you and Giraffe were a pleasure to have in our bar. Fantastic photos , especially the one of Geoff and Gavin xxx

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,979 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brief Trip Report - but hopefully useful

Love this photo 8-) https:/…set-72157645502783068

Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations