We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitin Sissi next week

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visitin Sissi next week

Hi, I've really enjoyed reading some of the threads on this forum and I have a couple of questions I hope you can advise me on. When I holiday, I go B'n'B then head out with rucksack, camera and some water, preferring to eat wherever I end up. I love architecture, ruins and scenery of all types. Are there any old ruin sites nearby? Where would be the best places to go for photographing old buildings etc. Also are there any special scenery sites to visit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stevie.

Sissi Mini Golf
Playgrounds, Game & Entertainment Centres, Mini Golf
Crete Safari
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Are you hiring a car or if not how far are you okay to walk?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Hiya, I will be on shanks's pony, I can walk a couple of miles, dodgy knee means I'd have to rest it for a while after that.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Okay I would definitely take the Happy Train up to the lovely mountain villages of Vrehassi which has lovely scenery, old streets, houses, churches as well as a couple of taverna's. A friend of mine walked to the Malia Palace (ruins) via the coast (I drove) they will hopefully post to say how long it took (Or I can look back on the forum and find a post).

Walking around Sissi itself makes for lots of photo opportunities.

You could also walk the opposite way from Malia along the coast to lower Milatos which has a few taverna's. About a twenty minute walk from there is Epano Milatos which is the original village with great photo opportunities with the old streets and couple of taverna's.

Epano Sissi is just a mile or so out of Sissi and has a couple of taverna's with nice views up to the mountains and beyond (you also get great mountain views from Sissi itself).

The Happy Train also stops at the monastery as Selanari (Agios Georgois) on the day it goes to Vrehassi.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Will definitely try that, thanks for the advice. :)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Also have a read through this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g608862-i11239-k…

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Think Goanjock has covered all the local walking spots, not done the walk to Malia but others have said it's about an hr to stroll to the Malia Archealogical site, .

We usually get a quad and venture up the mountains passed Milatos, taking in the caves and the old village of Kounali etc.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Great link thanks Goanjock. (From Dunfermline here.) :)

Tony, I'm a biker, a quad sounds perfect, would you recommend any certain company to hire from? What sort of rates am I looking at? Oh and do I need to take my driving license? Those links for Milatos and Kounalis look good thanks. Getting really excited now, never been to Crete before, or Greece for that matter. The people sound as friendly as us Scots.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

If you go for a quad I can give quite a few more tips on idea's for scenery, ruins and villages ;-)

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

Not sure whereabouts in Sissi you are staying but Malia Palace is well worth a visit IMHO and its not a difficult walk from Sissi if you take the road out of the village towards Malia (passing the Marigianna where we set off from) and then take the track straight ahead when you get to the end of the road where there is a small sign that says 'Malia'. The track joins the main road about 10 minutes from the Malia Palace exit. Alternatively you can turn right at the end of the road and past the hotel. If you walk along the beach you can take the coastal path to Potamos beach and turn left at the end and walk back up the road to Malia Palace. You can probably turn off before the end of the track and cut through but we walked that way twice and weren't sure where to turn off. There are benches along the track if you want to stop for a drink of water and admire the scenery. I wouldn't recommend walking on the rocky coastal path all the way back to Sissi harbour as its not brilliant underfoot and there's a bit where you have to climb over a fence so it might not be the best thing with a dodgy knee. Returning the last part of the walk on the road is easier. There is a café at Malia Palace so you can stop and rest before you start walking back.

I love walking in Greece and thoroughly enjoyed our walks in and around Sissi :-)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitin Sissi next week

I read your earlier post Gemma, really well written and heap of good information. Knee will probably hold up, just need to take care. Thanks for info.

Quad will be cost dependent Goanjock, even if it's a bit steep, I should at least have one day with it. Even a moped would do. (Haven't ridden one since the late 60's though..) I can manage my Ninja, so should be able to get by.

Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations