We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Which Sissi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Hi,

Off to Sissi in September and will be taking snorkel and mask but hope to buy fins when we arrive to save on space used in luggage.

Is there anywhere in Sissi or close that sell fins?

Thanks

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
130 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

You can get flippers in the supermarkets here, just remember they will not be high tech ones

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Thanks. Cheaply ones will do fine they are going to be disposable :-).

We will, no doubt, pop into the Jolly Roger for a libation or two ;-)

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

I've always found the best snorkeling is in the harbour with some amazing species that like to hang around the freezing fresh water springs that bubble up from the sea bed. It is also always safe no matter what is happening in the open sea. I personally find flippers a pain when snorkeling in the harbour , But good rubber swim shoes are a must because of the rough rocks and sea urchins hiding in them.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 17:38
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Thanks Mike,

The harbour was one of the areas I was going to snorkel. Why are fins a pain in the Harbour?

Thanks

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

I find they do not give you enough grip on the rocks and they tend to tear on the sharp rocks especially on the restaurant side, whereas good all rubber swim shoes allow you to stop on the underwater rocks and just stand still and watch all the action

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Thanks, makes sense.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

When you are just swimming you will feel the sudden drop in water temp and you will know you are close to the fresh water springs and you will also see the 'Haze' as the fresh water passes through the salt water just keep still and you sea the fish swimming in the cold currents which they seem to prefer. The area forward of the sun loungers towards the steps at the restaurant side has most of the fresh water springs.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 18:46
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Well I got to Snorkel, Malia, Agios Nikolaos and at Sissi. Not in the harbour but at the pebbly beach by the harbour wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

Enjoyed the video, but why outside the Harbour?. I've always found bigger and better selection selection of fish in the Harbour than out.

Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkling fins available in Sissi?

The Mrs wanted to swim outside the Harbour, as it was fairly busy and she's not a confident swimmer. It was our last day, flying back that evening, and we had trouble fitting everything into the 10 days we had.

Compared to Ag Nik and Malia the Sissi water had a definitely lot less fish but it was still and enjoyable area to snorkel. When we go back I will try the harbour.

We managed to walk the Samaria Gorge. Picked up in Sissi at 04:40 and returned at 23:30. Fantastic walk but our calf muscles felt it for a few days. Although we both walk regularly the constant down was unusual and took it's toll.

Get answers to your questions about Sissi
Recent Conversations