We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Which Springfield hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
83 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

The last part of September I spent a fine day in Springfield on my way back to O'Hare (for the next days flight back to Seattle).

I parked in the lot adjacent to the visitors center.

I used my Golden Eagle national park passport for the discount ($1.00) for parking. If you've got one all you do is enter the card number at the automated kiosk at the parking lot, feed it a dollar bill and you're good to go for a an hour which is adequate to see Lincoln's home and other restored homes in the neighborhood.

The park ranger did a great job leading my group of fellow tourists through the home.

Lincoln has always been one of my favorite people so being able to visit his place was very special to me. I was so impressed with the Lincoln memorial in D.C. and now seeing his place of residence brought all that together for me.

I checked out another historic home across the street and then headed back to the parking lot.

I then drove off, navigating the one way grid system of downtown Springield, to the Lincoln Museum.

There is a big parking garage next door but it was a Monday and there was plenty of street parking available so I did that a couple of blocks from the museum.

The museum was wonderful.

I took in all the exhibits and was particularly impressed with the displays of Abe's top hat and gloves he wore the night of his assasination.

All the other exhibits are exceptional as well.

The big multi media show of Lincoln's life is not to be missed and will keep even media savy adolescents attention throughout.

I headed out the door just before closing time and strolled across the street to the visitor information center.

I told a meember of the staff I wanted to see Lincoln's tomb. He informed me that it was closed to tours on Mondays. I told him I just wanted to see the exterior if nothing else and take a picture or two.

He was very helpful in providing me with a map on how to get there.

A few mintues later I arrived at the location of the tomb which is located in in private cemetary. I followed the signs and pulled into the parking area adjacent to Abe's final resting place.

I walked around for a couple of minutes snapping pictures of the giant monument that holds the remains of that great president. It was a gloomy late afternoon with threatening skies .. perfect for soft light picture taking.

It then donned on me that my car was the only one in the parking lot and I was the only person as far I could see (liviing) in that cemetary. There was no breeze and it was very quiet....no groundskeepers ...nobody around except me, Mr. Lincoln and his neighbors ..the residents of this old graveyard.

All of a sudden the place took on an erie feel. I had an attack of goosebumps and said to myself..I'm outta here.

I'd be kidding if I said I didn't feel relieved to drive through the gates and put the place in my rear view mirror.

I'm sure if you've been there when it was swarming with rourists its an entirely different experience.

But for me that visit to Lincoln's tomb will always be remembered...and if your a fan of Abe Lincoln its on the must see list.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

Hi yamhill,

Thanks for sharing you TR of Springfield. Lincoln has also been a special person from history to me also.

I am glad your visit was a special one.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Reading your trip report makes me want to get in my car and drive down to Springfield. Thanks for a great post.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Hi Yamhill,

Thanks for posting the report. Oakridge is a very interesting place. Lots to discover, but you are right - check it out on a sunny day when the toomb is open!

For those of you that enjoy the creepy stuff, the Museum of Funeral Customs just outside the main gate is worth the visit.

Cheers! ~Melston

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

Great report!

If you haven't already or are ever back, just south of the museum is the Old State Capitol with Lincoln's old law office adjacent to it. It is well worth a visit. The Dana Thomas house, built by the famed Franklin Lloyd Wright, is also a beautiful gem located not far from the downtown area.

Thanks for sharing.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

The Dana Thomas house was just closed by our Governor.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report

Dana-Thomas House has now reopened...or soon will. It is not to be missed!

7. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Springfield