We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

Which Springfield hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

Hi.

I get that I should go to the Lincoln Home and the Presidential Museum.

I also know that I should get a Horseshoe and check out some Route 66 icons.

And it would be nice to see the Dana Thomas house.

And maybe try a meal at the Cozy Dog.

So please be kind and tell me: what's the real story?

-How can I best score tickets to the Home and the Museum without being disappointed?

-Where should I park?

-Should I go inside the Dana Thomas house?

-**What is your suggested sketch of the hours I'd spend there with my family with 3 kids aged 8-14 including eats?

My husband is a Lincoln/Civil War buff.

My kids like history, quirky local flavor, and are Man vs Food fans.

I am arriving somewhat early on a weekday morning in Aug (not State Fair week) and leaving either next afternoon or day following for Galena (not sure what to do there either.)

Thank you for your expertise!!

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

I'm not sure what you mean about the tickets. Just walk up and buy them. You should go in the Dana Thomas house, but note that it's not open every day. Most people find the Lincoln Museum far more interesting than they expected, and it's easy to spend many hours there. There's a parking garage near the museum, and others nearby. Street parking is a little tough on weekdays near the museum. You will probably find street parking near the Thomas house. A unique place to eat is Joe Rogers' Original Recipe Chili Parlor, but you're kind of at the wrong time of year for hot chili. There are a number of good restaurants downtown.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
643 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

If the kids are into history, drive 20 minutes northwest, out to Lincoln's New Salem. It's a "Lincoln era" village set up within the state park.

Also...that horseshoe? D'Arcy's Pint is the place..it was featured on Man Vs. Food. If you arrive at suppertime, plan to wait 45 minutes at least. However, you can get a nice ice cold adult beverage. Plenty of free parking.

You've pretty much gotten the "inside" on Springfield. Nobody here "scalping" tickets to stuff or looking for a payoff under the table for a parking place.

Hope you enjoy your time in Mr. Lincoln's Hometown.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

Hi-- maybe my NYC-ness coming out too cynical-- thanks for info.

Re inside scoop on getting tix,

I was asking

because I saw on website for sites that tickets are "limited" and

I wanted to know if there was a time

to avoid or

to be sure I visit.

I am coming on a Mon-Tues!

Also, what Route 66 icons are near the Lincoln sites that you refer friends to?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,886 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

www.visit-springfieldillinois.com/route66/

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

You can skip the Dana Thomas house then. Website says it's open only Wed through Sunday.

For a Route 66 landmark, check out the Cozy Dog on South 6th.

usa
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

Here's what you can do... First thing, go to Lincoln's home visitor center and get tickets. We just sent one of our group in to get the tickets, and we didn't mess with parking at that time. If you can't find street meter parking for this, just drop off and drive around block (streets are one way, so just pay attention). Sometimes the wait for entry is a couple hours, depending on what time you get there etc. But you can get them for later in the day and plan to go back for a specific entry time. But then you also have to be sure you are back for that time slot! You could always just plan on a later time and do the museum while you wait for your entry time. Just be sure to be at the actual home (not visitor center) with your tickets about 15 minutes before your entry. You can do the museum as quickly or slowly as you'd like. It's not far from the home.

Personally, even if open, I'd skip Dana Thomas unless fans of FLW. But could be a drive by to see exterior. Just too many other things to see in your limited time.

I don't know what day you are here, but if you are here Tuesday, go to the Lincoln's Tomb in the evening. They have a short reenactment of a Civil War flag lowering ceremony out on the lawn of the cemetary in front of tomb, then give the flag away to one of the evening visitors. It's very moving. Just be sure to sign in when you get there. I think it starts around 7, but you may want to get there earlier so you can tour tomb before too many get there. People just sit on lawn on blankets to watch. Wouldn't miss the tomb, even if not there on Tuesday night.

Yes, New Salem can be interesting...it's a recreation of what the village was like when Lincoln lived there early on. But would think twice if it's hot!!

As far as food, yes a horse shoe is a must...but you can spend lots of time waiting at Darcy's so avoid dinner hour. Either be there at 11am for lunch, or later in evening..after 8, and even then you'll wait. Don't know much about the Cozy Dog place, other than they are corn dogs.

Not much interest in Route 66 so can't help you there...sorry.

Old State Capital is nice, even if just to see exterior also. It;s downtown near museum also.

You will enjoy your trip, I'm sure! Ask at hotel for brochures etc for opening/closing times, etc.

usa
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

Here's what you can do... First thing, go to Lincoln's home visitor center and get tickets. We just sent one of our group in to get the tickets, and we didn't mess with parking at that time. If you can't find street meter parking for this, just drop off and drive around block (streets are one way, so just pay attention). Sometimes the wait for entry is a couple hours, depending on what time you get there etc. But you can get them for later in the day and plan to go back for a specific entry time. But then you also have to be sure you are back for that time slot! You could always just plan on a later time and do the museum while you wait for your entry time. Just be sure to be at the actual home (not visitor center) with your tickets about 15 minutes before your entry. You can do the museum as quickly or slowly as you'd like. It's not far from the home.

Personally, even if open, I'd skip Dana Thomas unless fans of FLW. But could be a drive by to see exterior. Just too many other things to see in your limited time.

I don't know what day you are here, but if you are here Tuesday, go to the Lincoln's Tomb in the evening. They have a short reenactment of a Civil War flag lowering ceremony out on the lawn of the cemetary in front of tomb, then give the flag away to one of the evening visitors. It's very moving. Just be sure to sign in when you get there. I think it starts around 7, but you may want to get there earlier so you can tour tomb before too many get there. People just sit on lawn on blankets to watch. Wouldn't miss the tomb, even if not there on Tuesday night.

Yes, New Salem can be interesting...it's a recreation of what the village was like when Lincoln lived there early on. But would think twice if it's hot!!

As far as food, yes a horse shoe is a must...but you can spend lots of time waiting at Darcy's so avoid dinner hour. Either be there at 11am for lunch, or later in evening..after 8, and even then you'll wait. Don't know much about the Cozy Dog place, other than they are corn dogs.

Not much interest in Route 66 so can't help you there...sorry.

Old State Capital is nice, even if just to see exterior also. It;s downtown near museum also.

You will enjoy your trip, I'm sure! Ask at hotel for brochures etc for opening/closing times, etc.

8. Re: Your insider tips, suggestions for itinerary for about 2 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Springfield