We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief trip report

Which Springfield hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Brief trip report

First, I want to thank everyone on here who gave me tips about where to stay, dining, etc. We had an enjoyable two days in the area and your tips helped so much.

We arrived in Springfield late on a Friday afternoon and checked in at the Drury Inn on Dirksen Pkwy. The hotel was fine, but nothing great. Its an older Drury and we would definitely like to try somewhere different on our next visit. We really wanted to stay downtown at the State House, but it was booked. As it turned out, Springfield was quite busy that weekend with an art festival downtown, a Highland games event and evidently a baseball tournament from the number of ball teams at our hotel. I'm sure there must have been additional events as well as everywhere we went seemed busy!

We had plans to go on the Lincoln ghost walk that evening and wanted to dine at Saputo's first. However, I guess they had a lot of reservations. When we arrived, there were only four folks waiting for a table by the door, but we were told it would be an hour or more for a table. We didn't have reservations because we were unsure about our arrival time. So, we just grabbed a sandwich elsewhere and headed to the tour meeting point.

The Lincoln tour was wonderful. I'd love to go on the Mary walk as well. If you've never been, I highly receommned it.

Saturday morning we went to Charlie Parker's for breakfast. Service was fast and the food was very good.

From there, we went to the the Lincoln Museum (wonderful), the Lincoln house (interesting peek into the past) and the Lincoln tomb (very moving). We decided to stop for a quick treat at Krekel's on the recommendation of someone on this forum. It was delicious and hit the spot on a hot day!

From there we went back to the hotel to get ready for a family wedding we were attending in Decatur that evening. We checked out the next morning.

I have done reviews on here of the restaurants and sites we visited, so look them up if you're interested.

We will definitely be back to the area as we now have family living near Decatur. Thanks again for all your help.

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief trip report

Thanks for the report. Glad you enjoyed the Lincoln Museum. It's really a great place!

Edited: 28 May 2012, 21:14
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief trip report

Thanks for the trip report. Glad you enjoyed yourselves!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief trip report

We can't wait to visit the area again!

Level Contributor
2,453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief trip report

Thank you for the nice trip report. Gave us some good ideas for our upcoming trip.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief trip report

Thank you for your trip report! I have just started researching this leg of a trip from Tulsa to Chicago for this coming Summer and I found your remarks very helpful. Thanks again!

6. Re: Brief trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Springfield