We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Elberfeld, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

We're planning a road trip for this summer. We would like to stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield as a halfway point between Deadwood and Yellowstone. We'll be traveling with 4 kids, infant - 8, so we would like to picnic and give them somewhere to let off some steam. Is there a picnic area and playground at the battlefield park? If not, any suggestions?

16 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Did not see picnic atea but was enthralled with the feeling there and after seeing

the battlefield & reading historical account could almost see the day it happenened

before my eyes

Upon heading to visitors centre where an outsside balcony looking down on the

battle field I found a recorded account by 7th Cavalry about the battle and as I turned

to leave another account came on---in Lakota Sioux language Wow

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Soory did you say Crow Agency---you could try Lodge Grass community centre

if its still open

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

We were there in July 2012 and I don't recall a picnic area or playground, but I also wasn't looking for them. Honestly, we were there on a cloudless day and found it too hot to be out in the sun any longer than it took to tour the highlights of the park, so we did a car picnic. Personally I found it to be a pretty stark landscape, except where the (presumably irrigated) grass was. Hopefully someone with more info will post!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Yes its stark but what took place June 25

1876 is the thing -a tradgety engendered vy

GA when told of 1,100+'braves

The cavalery with saddie & 40lb packs trying to ourtrun the braves uphill and markers where they fell So tradgic

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Agreed about the history of the site - obviously that was the reason for the visit. But the OP was asking about facilities, and presumably already knows and appreciates the history if considering a visit.

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

I don't recall any playground or picnic area, but it has been a while since I was there. However, it would be like picnicing and playing in a cemetary. Not totally respectful. You might just need a rest stop somewhere.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Hope the original poster comes back especially since lots of people have taken time to respond to their questions.

It might be best if you just contact people at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument yourself. That way you will know for sure. The park service has a great website for the battlefield. On the website is this page that has all the contact information along with an email option:

http://www.nps.gov/libi/contacts.htm

The main website with lots of information for planning trips to the battlefield.

http://www.nps.gov/libi/index.htm

Deb

Edited: 16 February 2014, 23:52
Elberfeld, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know of a nearby place that would be appropriate?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

There's a rest area with a couple of sheltered picnic tables on I90 between Hardin and Billlings if that's the way you are going.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?

The Battlefield will be fine. It is a national historic site, and they expect kids. You can get your national park passports stamped. After that, head to Billings. Riverfront Park is just south of I -90 and a great place to get some ya-yas out.

I hope you're not planning to get over the Beartooth highway that same day -- even Red Lodge is stretching it (but doable).

If you're going to Cody, the Battlefield is out of your way. Getting much past Cody is a stretch, too.

Reply to: Picnic areas at Little Bighorn Battlefield?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crow Agency