We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

Welland Ont
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

I am a summer subletter, hence do not have my name on a utility bill. That means I can not obtain a visitor permit, nor doI have the time to do so. I need overnight parking for three days near "The Bisciut" does anyone have a suggestion of an overnight parking garage or a private temporary parking spot.? This is proving to be a tough search. Hotels are not allowed to rent a parking space without aq booked room.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

you should be able to obtain a visitor's parking permit from whomever you are subletting from. if not, that's a pretty raw deal, I'm afraid.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

If the apartment lessee can't give you a visitor permit, Cambridge has two parking garages and a number of lots: …cambridgema.gov/traffic/OffStreetParking.cfm

Or check craigslist for a short-term parking space.

Welland Ont
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

Thanks for your reply. I am scanning Craigslist to no avail. I have also posted in Craigslist. I have investigated a few spots without luck at an interesting new website called: http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/index.php?com=search&coords=42.3584308%2C-71.0597732&q=Boston%2C+MA&type=autocomplete&local=us&start_date=&end_date=&start_time=07%3A00%3A00&end_time=07%3A00%3A00&filter_space_type=&rental_period=&max_price=&max_freq=day also NO luck. Now, I will also investigate the links you have sent. Harvard Square tourist office suggested the ALEWIFE MBTA parking garage. Central Parking operates two lots in the area with overnight parking too. University Place near Harvard Square and then one near Kendall Square on Ames St. Both are quite far away! Unreal!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,074 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

Are you referring to "The Biscuit" restaurant in Somerville? It's not all that far from Harvard Square, and there are some commercial lots there.

Check out University Place Garage. They have short term, overnight parking rates: harvardsquare.com/Home/Services/University-P…

My goto place for Cambridge parking is The Green Street garage in Central Square. It would be less expensive than Harvard Square, but not very convenient to your location.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

The visitor pass I used a few years back for cambridge, had a lot of restraints attached. Using it for the summer everyday will not fly. You need to call city hall or better yet, go by when you arrive.

Also, visitor passes in Cambridge are more precious then one's first born. I doubt the owner will give it up for even a few weeks.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 17:57
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

I'm sure a visitor pass would work for the three days that the OP needs it, but it seems like a moot point. Paying to park in a garage or lot seems to be the solution.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

Just saw the summer subletter part, but the one I used was only good for a 48 hour period with the same car.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

Going to City Hall probably won't help -- for a resident parking permit (which includes one visitor pass) Cambridge requires that you prove residency. They are willing to accept 2 recent pieces of mail at the address in lieu of a utility bill because some folks don't have utilities in their own name. However, the harder part is that you also have to transfer the vehicle's registration and insurance to reflect the Cambridge address. That would be much more of a pain and expense than simply paying the market rate for 3 days/nights of parking. I assume Somerville has similar procedures.

Alewife station is a good deal at $8/day and would probably be my first choice. Take the train from Alewife to Harvard and then you're a 15-minute walk from The Biscuit. Or try the city-operated Green Street garage as noted by Christnp2 - a little more expensive but closer.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

If, by some chance, you can somehow get hold of the visitor pass from the sublessor, you could probably get away with using it for 3 straight days in Cambridge, especially if one of the days is a weekend. In Somerville you will almost certainly get a ticket for that - possibly multiple tickets.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Temporary overnight parking in Somerville/Cambridge MA

Going in person to city hall may help. If you have proof that you're subletting, a nice clerk in a good mood could issue you a parking permit for the time needed for a nominal fee.

Cambridge city hall is very user friendly.