We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Advice

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Advice

Will be staying in Cambridge for 7 days starting next Tuesday. I have just read that it is advisable to pack light winter wear and a jacket besides tee-shirts etc as the temperature can suddenly drop and it can become quite cold. Any views on this please?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Advice

No, we are not likely to get winter cold in July (!) do bring a *light* jacket for rain & maybe a pair or 2 of long pants (capri's would probably be better) just in case.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,982 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Advice

Light WINTER wear in July?!?!?!?!??! I'd love to know where you read that? I guess compared to Malta it might be considered cold ... but if you walked down the street with gloves and a light scarf, you'd be subjected to a LOT of odd looks. Yes we tell people to dress how they are most comfortable, but people might stare.

Seriously, it rarely drops below 65 degress farenheit (18 celsius). You should have a long sleeved shirt and a light jacket or sweater, ideally something that could protect you from the rain.

Also, some visitors from warmer climates find our air conditioning to be extreme so it's always good to have a light wrap for dinner or a movie or other indoor performance.

Check here for average daily temps in July as well as the historical highs and lows. weather.com/weather/…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Advice

Next week is suppose to be the weather that New Englanders' dream about...warm days with no humidity and good sleeping weather. I see you are from Malta and may find 65 degree F on the cool side, so I would bring a light jacket or sweater and socks but you do not need winter clothes! Have fun!

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Advice

Perhaps I should have explained 'light winter wear'??? Our winters are pretty mild temperature averaging around 10 Celsius at its worst so light winter wear means just a sweater (not too thick) or long sleeved cotton top and lightweight jacket. So I guess my 'winter' :) jacket should be fine.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Advice

Thanks vermontgirl you've made my day! I shall definitely be looking forward to the no humidity weather as currently here it's registering around 83%.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Advice

Good to know, because winter here can be very, very cold. Enjoy your trip!

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather Advice

Thanks to all TAs am all packed and ready to go. Temperature here is in the 90's and rising steadily. Am hoping it will be somewhat cooler in Cambridge!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather Advice

Hope you are enjoying perfect New England weather. Suppose to get hot on Saturday! Enjoy.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather Advice

The weather here should be perfect for your visit and the above advice for clothing is very good. When I first read your post I had the same reaction as some of the other responders. I would would think mild winter weather was in the 2 to 6 C range.

10. Re: Weather Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 06:16