We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

Coral Gables...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

Greetings,

I will be staying in Boston over Labor Day weekend. I am traveling with my two sons (ages 15 and 12). The purpose of the trip is two-fold. First, we are attending a football game at BC (other than the day of the game we do not plan on revisiting Chestnut Hill).

The second purpose is to visit several schools (e.g., Harvard, MIT, etc.) and be within walking distance or a short public transport ride away from said schools as well as local restaurants, cafes and shops. With respect to restaurants, my kids are young but we prefer local merchants vs. national chains.

I am thinking about the Sheraton Commander as the rates are reasonable (under $200) and it is well situated. I'd like to spend around $200 per night. I will not have a rental.

Thoughts?

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

The Sheraton Commander is a good choice. It sits across from the Cambridge common. An old hotel with charm and well maintained.

Just a few minutes to the red line. BC isn't the easiest place to get via the t from Boston or Cambridge. I would look into a cab.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

If you are only going to BC one day, you could, from the Commander, take the Red Line from Harvard Square, get off at Park Street and switch to the Green Line T that goes to BC (the B I think...). It's a minor pain to switch, but not terrible. There are a lot of stops on the way though to BC on the green line though.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 21:45
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

From Harvard Square, you can also catch the 86-Cleveland Circle bus which will take you very close to the B.C. campus. Exit at Chestnut Hill Ave. & Commonwealth Ave. and then either transfer to the Green Line "B" trolley and ride to the B.C. stop, or just walk the rest of the way down Comm. Ave. (10-15 minutes).

Cabs line up in front of the Sheraton Commander, so just grab a taxi if you are short on time and/or don't want to be bothered with public transport.

The Commander is a nice hotel; relatives of mine have stayed there once or twice. While there is not much right on its block, it really is just around the corner from all of the cafes and shops in Harvard Square. You will find plenty of places that appeal to teenagers. Seemingly more and more national chains, but still plenty of local places like Crema Cafe, Darwin's (sandwiches), Henrietta's Table, and Upstairs on the Square.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

We will be visiting Cambridge over the Labor Day weekend also. We got a good rate at the Kendall Hotel which is very near MIT. I have never stayed here before, but it does have really good reviews here on Trip Advisor. Last summer we stayed at the Doubletree in Boston, and it was very nice.

Coral Gables...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

Slight change of plans. I just realized that I have enough SPG points to stay the entire weekend for free. I can stay at any Starwood property in Greater Boston. Given that I am no longer restricted by the average nightly rate of $200 I am thinking about staying at either the W Boston or the Westin Copley which are both Starwood Properties.

I am thinking of upgrading the accomodations and riding the T to Harvard Square MIT, etc.

Thoughts?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

Taking the T is easy. I like the neighborhood around the Westin (Back Bay/Copley Square) better than around the W (Theater District), but either are fine. The Theater District is just not quite as charming

The W will have easier access to the Red Line T to Cambridge, but it's not a difficult trip from either location.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

That would work just fine, too. I'm not familiar with the W, but the Westin Copley certainly seems like a nice place, and the location is very good for typical tourist activities -- close to Newbury Street shopping and only about a 15-minute walk from the downtown historic sites.

If your main interest is visiting schools, the Sheraton Commander would be slightly more convenient for visiting Harvard and MIT, but it's still only about a 30-minute ride from Copley back over to Cambridge (green line to Park Street, then the red line). For BC you could just ride the green line from Copley (or from Boylston in the case of the W).

You really can't go wrong and it depends more on what you plan to do during the weekend. Harvard Square and the Back Bay both have their charms, with Harvard Sq. having more of a "college town" feel and the Back Bay a little more "downtown"-ish with upscale shopping and dining.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 19:15
Coral Gables...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

I prefer the Harvard Square 'feel' but am concerned about the Commander's age. How would you compare the Commander (amenities wise) to the Westin and W?

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

If you are on the fence on where to stay, I would go with the westin or w. As much as I like Cambridge, Boston has more charm and more to do. The Westin never ages, the upkeep is continuous.

Charlotte, N C
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge Hotel Suggestions

My family and I are looking forward to visiting Boston this weekend. We are staying at a hotel on Harvard Square; any advice on good restaurants for breakfast within walking distance of Harvard Square? Thank you!