We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Hi there, I am attending a conference in Cambridge in August and I am looking at somewhere to stay close to the conference centre. I have found somewhere within my budget however I now would like to know what the transport is like in MA? Are there buses/trains? If so could you please direct me to somewhere I can find route maps etc? When looking online I never know which are the common transport companies ( I am from outside the US! ) Thanks!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

There is excellent public transportation is metropolitan Boston, which is known as the hub of the universe. Check out www.mbta.com. If you tell us exactly where your conference is and where you are staying, people in this forum will contribute precise instructions and directions.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Busses and subway service the Cambridge area. As Thomas stated if you give us specifics we can further advise you. Our public transportation system is known as the MBTA (Massachusetts. Bay Transportation Authority). They have a decent trip planner on their website. As well, it is really easy to walk in both Cambridge and Boston. A great resource is WalkBoston.org. Here's one link: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Mbta.com

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses that was very helpful!

My conference is at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge, and I was thinking of staying a B&B called Whitman House which is on Worcester St - this place is within my budget (basically cheap and near the conference centre), and had good reviews on here but if you have any other suggestions of places near the conference centre that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,071 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Your B&B is near Central square. You can catch a bus or subway there and get close to the Sonesta. Googlemaps has good public transportation directions

Holland, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

If we stay in Cambridge, how can we get to the Freedom trail without driving our own vehicle?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Where in Cambridge are you staying? By the way, trying to do the Freedom Trail by car is a terrible idea anyway.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

See response #3 above.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Yes, from either place in Cambridge (your hotel or your conference) just get on the Red Line of our subway system. Take it in the direction of Park Street (the main downtown station). The Freedom Trail goes right by that station and I believe there is a visitor center a few hundred feet away from the train station, too. You can pick up maps and brochures there, and maybe join a tour if you want to.

The Freedom Trail is just a number of historical sites, owned by different entities, but all along a "trail" that is easy to follow. Most of it is in Boston, but a couple of the sites are in next door Charlestown. In Boston the trail is visible as either a painted red stripe, or a line of red bricks. The federal National Park Service operates some of the sites, and they offer tours. Here is their link:

nps.gov/bost/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

You absolutely should not bring your car while doing the tour -- except (perhaps) for the Charlestown part. But really you don't want to use your car in Boston.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,071 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport around Cambridge and from Cambridge to Central BOS

Ann Z ... This is getting confusing because people are thinking you are the original poster who has a conference at The Sonesta hotel and is staying at a B&B near Central Square.

I think you need to start a NEW topic with this question and be sure to tell us where in Cambridge you are staying.