We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

My husband and I are planning to spend a weekend in Richmond.

We would like to stay a place where we can look interesting sits by walking around, and also it has a lively atmosphere.

Since none of us have been there before, love to have any suggestions.

Thanks very much in advance!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

If you stay at the Omni you can walk either to:

- the newly renovated Virginia State Capitol

- the Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom areas for some shops and restaurants, and the Farmers market,

- the Canal Walk for some interesting historic displays about the old Kanawha canal

- the National Civil War Museum at Tredegar.

- past Tredegar is the footbridge over the James to Belle Isle for a picnic and/or sunbathing out on the rocks.

Have a nice visit and let us know if you need more details or other information.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

22Tango,

Thank you for being so kind!

Also I did some checking this afternoon, and found the "Doubletree Hotel" on 301 West Franking St. Because this hotel is little bit cheaper than some others in that area.

Do you think the "Doubletree hotel " would be a good alternative or it's worth it? Can we still walk to the sightseeing and resturants from this hotel?

Thank you again and have a great evening!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

The Doubletree is at 3rd and Franklin, 1 block north of Main, which is a somewhat further away and above downtown in elevation (it's a long walk uphill from the riverfront) and a block north of Main.

The Omni is at 12the and Cary St. Cary is 1 block south of Main so you get a idea of their location in relation to each other.

To understand the walking differences to sites (distances are from the Omni):

The State Capitol is 2 blocks north between 9th and 10th.

Shockoe Slip is across the street. Shockoe Bottom/Farmers Market is 17th and 1 block north (Main).

Canal walk is two blocks south from 5th to 19th street

Civil War Museum is near 6th and 2 blocks south at the riverfront. Belle Isle is a little further down this street.

So the sites I mentioned are is more convenient and closer to the same elevation as the Omni, especially if you are interested in Shockoe Bottom or the riverfront.

If you stay at the Doubletree, you are close to VCU, Landmark Theater, the Coliseum, and Convention Center. If something is going on there that interests you, stay at the Doubletree. The Capitol is a reasonable distance.

The Omni is in a nicer location if you want to walk around at night (livelier), although I think the area around the Doubletree is improving. The Doubletree area will be close to deserted late at night in the near vicinity. The best restaurants/bars in the area are on Broad St, 2 blocks north and several blocks west, with some others in other directions several blocks away. (But it is handy if you want to splurge for dinner at Lemaire in the Jefferson). The Omni has Shockoe Slip, with many choices of bars and restaurants, just across the street and in the next two/three blocks east, and is close to several nice places on Main St. I expect it would be more expensive for location alone. I haven't been to the Doubletree since it's been renovated (used to be a Radisson), so I can't speak to the relative quality. The Omni is very nice, and if you can swing it, I think you will be glad you did. You won't go hungry in either location.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

Thank you so much 22Tangao!

You really made this one easy for me, I could not ask any more or better.

I also will print out the high lights you just suggested, it will come handy for us.

I really appreciated your time and kindness.

All the best wishes!

5. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 13:19