We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond-where to eat?

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
virginia beach,VA
Level Contributor
202 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Richmond-where to eat?

We will be going to Richmond for a weekend trip and would appreciate some good restaurant ideas.We will be staying at the Omni Friday night and are looking for a good unique Bistro type restaurant for dinner. Also looking for a good diner in the area where we can get a good breakfast before we go whitewater rafting. Thanks!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

There are many options for dinner just steps from your door, it depends upon what interests you. My favorite place within walking distance to the Omni is LaGrotta about a block away (15th and Cary) for Italian. Walk a few more blocks down to just past 14th for Europa, specializing in tapas. There are many other choices, of varying quality.

Diners are a little more out of your way. There's one at 3rd and Main, and 4th and Main, but that's far uphill and in the opposite direction of where you're headed. I would put these in the category of 'greasy spoon'. Most of the other small places in the area that offer breakfast are closed on the weekends. There was a place in the little mall that is attached to the Omni, but it has changed over to a chain (Arby's maybe?), so I'm not sure if they're open for breakfast anymore. Check with the Omni.

If you were planning a raft trip on the James in Richmond, I hope you are bringing your own raft and equipment since there is no longer a concessionaire offering raft trips on the James River in Richmond.

virginia beach,VA
Level Contributor
202 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

Thanks for the dinner recs. As far as rafting Riverside Outfitters offers rafting trips now.

riversideoutfitters.net/guidedRaft_trips.html

At least I hope they do since I've already made reservations ;)

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

Glad to hear they have someone new doing it. Write back and tell us how you liked it, so we can recommend it to others.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

The Tobacco Company, right across the street, is in a historic building and the food is pretty good. Havana 59, right down the street, is also fun and the food (Cuban of course) is great. The restaurant at the Omni has a good breakfast and they open pretty early- earlier than the fast food joint there. (I live in Norfolk, but am in Richmond on business quite a bit and always stay at the Omni)

Virginia
Level Contributor
126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

If you're looking for something unique--Check out LuLu's its a newer place in the botton on 18th street. My other top picks are Cous Cous (moroccan/mediterrean tapas style and fab atmosphere) on Franklin or Chez Foushee on Foushee street (french eclectic).

For breakfast, check out Millie's way down in the bottom--but get there early (before 10am)! Its got awesome food and has a line out the door every weekend.

Enjoy!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

If you are looking for southern soul food, go to Croaker's Spot. In addition to its magnificent seafood dishes, Croaker's offers up sides of cheese grits, cabbage, onions and peppers in special sauce (very good), huge "blocks" of cornbread, as well as an assortment of cakes.

RICHMOND
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

I know I'm late on the posting, but just ate at Tarrant's and it was great, reasonable and good atmosphere for a bistro type place.

8. Re: Richmond-where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 15:18