We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area for Hotels near Highland Games/Raceway

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
832 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area for Hotels near Highland Games/Raceway

My daughter will be dancing in the Richmond Highland Games in October. I believe they're held at the International Raceway. After dancing on Saturday, we'll probably go to Kings Dominion on Sunday. We need to get to the games early, so we'd rather be closer to the raceway site.

Which is the best area to stay in for this itinerary? I may Priceline it, so an area recommendation is good. But anyone wants to recommend a good, affordable hotel, that would be great, too.

Thanks.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area for Hotels near Highland Games/Raceway

Since you are looking on priceline be sure to know what areas to avoid: Do not stay in the area closest to the Raceway, it is not the safest part of Richmond. There is a lot of low income housing around the race track. I would stay at hotels on West Broad St./Short Pump area, Glen Allen, or Mechanicsville.

I would not stay at hotels on Laburnum, Chamberlayne, or parts of Brook Road.

My husband lives in Richmond, so I'm not much help on recommending a hotel.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area for Hotels near Highland Games/Raceway

You don't mention your budget, but you may want to take a look at SpringHill Suites, which is only about a year old, on Brook Rd in Glen Allen. This is a nice suburban area (not at all like Brook Rd in Richmond, which can be not so nice), and handy to I-95, not too far from the raceway, and handy also for your trip to Kings Dominion.

Sewickley
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area for Hotels near Highland Games/Raceway

What are your expected check-in and check-out dates?

If you are planning to stay just Friday and Saturday nights, you might want to consider bidding at 3* for Priceline's West End zone. You'll probably get the Sheraton in a bid range of $35 to $45 per night for a Friday/Saturday stay. The Sheraton, according to Mapquest, is a 10-minute, 6.4 mile drive from the International Raceway.

Check this link …yuku.com/forums/91/t/Virginia-West-Virginia… for recent Priceline Richmond winning bids.

If you are planning to stay additional days or want to bid at other Priceline star quality levels, post the information here and I'll give you an alternate bidding strategy.

4. Re: Best Area for Hotels near Highland Games/Raceway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 02:20