We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond for kids?!?

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Richmond for kids?!?

Hey there!

We live in Baltimore and are looking for a car trip to some place near by.

We've already done the beaches this summer, so thought Richmond might be a good place.

I see there's an aquarium, zoo, discovery museum and lots of fun military stuff for my husband.

Just curious, how would ya'll rate Richmond for kids? and what do you think of the kid attractions?

Also, any suggestions for fun things to do with kids would be appreciated (she's 5, by the way).

Melia

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

To my knowledge there's no aquarium in Richmond.

There's a small zoo, but it's not nearly as nice as the zoo in Baltimore. Maybe for a 5 year old, it's OK, but it is a good ride outside Richmond. The Discovery Museum...I think maybe you're referring to the children's museum in Charlottesville?

For a 5 year old, I would look into the Children's Museum of Richmond:

http://www.c-mor.org/

Maybe others with young children can think of other attractions in the area that someone that age might enjoy. I can't think of much in the way of attractions in Richmond that is for someone of that age.

I don't know if you've ever been there, but from Baltimore a nice little trip would be to the Lehigh Valley in PA. There's Dorney Park, the Crayola Factory, and Lehigh Valley Zoo. Sesame Place is not too far from there. I would think your daughter might enjoy these places.

Onley, Va
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

There is a Science Museum, and a Children's Discovery Museum on Broad Street in Richmond. Science Museum was interesting and had a IMAX theatre, we have not done the Childrens Museum (right next door) yet.

My favorite place in Richmond is Maymont Park - my grandchildren all love to visit there!! There is a small museumy visitor/nature center - not sure what they call it - that has some fish and turtles. (and a small restaurant/deli)

They also have a small petting farm and zoo, with gardens and a small waterfall and a koi pond. During the school year we have many times been there at the same time as kindergarden/nursery school groups.

Lewis Ginter gardens has an absolutely wonderful children's garden that she may enjoy also - complete with "tree houses"

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

I would also go with Maymont and Lewis Ginter. The Children's Museum is good too.

If you stayed overnight, you could also stop by Kings Dominion on your way to Richmond or home.

Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

My humble opinion is I think she may be a bit bored. Richmond is filled with history but to a 5 year old it will be boredom city while the adults enjoy the place.

The places mentioned by the other posters are all nice but they won't occupy a five year old for very long.

Kings Dominion is a full day affair. You can check out the reviews on tripadvisor.

When I took my child to Richmond I went to see grown up stuff so he didn't have a choice. But he wasn't 5 either.

Good luck.

Jeff

Central VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

For fun with a 5 year old, you might want to check into Williamsburg. They have the water park, for one thing, and Busch Gardens. Even the history is more accessible for kids there.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

When I mentioned stopping by Kings Dominion on the way there or on the way home, I meant to do it for the day. We just did it last week. We were in Richmond for other reasons on Thursday, spent the night and then got up and went to Kings Dominion on Friday. Got home Friday night.

7. Re: Richmond for kids?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 05:16