We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oldest Restaurant?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Oldest Restaurant?

I have a friend going to Richmond, soon. He will be celebrating his birthday while he is there and wants to eat at a restaurant that is older than he is. Although I don't know his exact age, I believe he is in his early 60s. Does anyone know if there is a restaurant older than that in Richmond? I have tried googling, without much luck.

Thanks in advance!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

You probably mean the business, right? Like in a historical building?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

The Half Way House restaurant is in a manor house built in the 1700's. It is located on Jeff Davis Highway in south Richmond.

The Jefferson Hotel, built in the late 1800's, has Lemaire which is a wonderful restaurant - located in downtown.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

I think he would actually prefer for the restaurant itself to have been running for that long, and not just that it is located in an old building. Of course, he may just have to settle for something else!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

Thanks for the response! The Half Way House may be perfect!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

The historic Jefferson Hotel has a few venues. The Tobacco Company. Sam Miller's on Cary? Look up the historic Shockoe area...lots there.

Can't wait for locals to answer for some tips I can add to my own list.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

This is tough, because restaurants don't often last that long, but Byram's on W Broad St opened in 1943, so that should qualify if he's in his early 60s. It still has the ambiance of a place that would have been considered very classy in 1943, but now seems a little out of date.

www.byrams.com

I remember when the Tobacco Co opened in the 80s, and Sam Miller's in the 70s, so they're definitely out.

The Jefferson hotel was closed during most of his life, re-opening in the 80s, so that's also out.

I'll think about this and see if I can come up with something else.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
30 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

Fascinating topic! I'd vote for the Halfway House too (see my review) as it's palpably OLD!

There's also Ruth's Chris which is in an ante-bellum plantation house but of course the restaurant itself isn't old. But I guess that's true of many places in a city as old as Richmond!

8. Re: Oldest Restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Richmond
Recent Conversations