We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Richmond, VA

WV
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches near Richmond, VA

My husband is going to Richmond, VA for a week of training, and will have to use his last week of vacation to do so. So we are thinking about making the trip a family affair with our two boys who are 2 and 6. I'm trying to find some things for us to do while my husband is in training all day, but I would really love to spend time at the beach! Are there any closer beaches than Va Beach? I know it's only two hours away but that's four hours round trip and with a toddler 4 hours is a LONG time!!!

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

Click here http://www.buckroebeach.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckroe_Beach

http://www.c-mor.org

http://www.maymont.org/Page.aspx?pid=264

http://www.metrorichmondzoo.com

http://www.williamsburgforkids.com

Edited: 27 May 2011, 16:51
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

VA beach is pretty much it. Parts of the Chesapeake are a little closer I think, but I'm not sure how beach-like that is--or how public. (I really don't know). If you look at a map, you'll see that Richmond is just not all that close to the coastline. Beach traffic can also be problematic depending on the time of day.

However, there's a lot to do in the Greater Richmond area. MarylandMist gave some good web links. Highly recommend Maymont and the Richmond Zoo, especially for little ones. Lots of happy animals to pet.

Norfolk, VA
Level Contributor
47 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

You might want to consider one of the state park lakes. Bear Creek, Twin Lakes, and Lake Anna are 45-75 minutes away, depending on what part of Richmond you are starting from. The lakes might prove calmer for the boys, especially the younger one.

Ranson, West...
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

Hi LisaPizza!

Are you partial to oceanfront? If not, there are definitely other beaches closer than VA Beach.

Riverwalk Landing at Yorktown is a very nice beach on the York River, which would be about 45 minutes from Richmond. Me & my family really enjoy it. It also has nice grassy picnicking areas around it & a wonderful quaint walking/shopping area. Here is a link http://www.riverwalklanding.com/

I saw that MarylandMist also gave you a link to Buckroe Beach, a pretty nice beach in Hampton, on the Chesapeake Bay. That would be about 1 hour from Richmond.

Hope you find what will work for you!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

I love our James River right here in Richmond. You can find some nice rocks to sit on and enjoy views and fun in the water at Belle Isle in downtown Richmond. There is a fabulous walking path to burn off some energy and lots of shade as well

Colonial Beach...
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

Hi Lisa! There's always Colonial Beach, and it's about an hour and a half northeast of Richmond - depending what part of Richmond you're in. It's a pretty easy drive for the most part, once you get off I-95 at exit 104. Has the training already taken place? I saw that your post was dated the end of May.

WV
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

Thank you for the replies! We leave this Saturday and have decided to head up a day early to spend a day at VA beach. I'll be alone with my boys all week while my husband is in training, so I'm planning a trip to the Metro zoo and the children's museum. Hopefully once we are there I'll find some more things to do to keep them busy! We will be in Glen Allen.

Colonial Beach...
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

Lisa, that sounds like a fun plan! The Metro Zoo is about a 45-minute drive, bring change for the toll booths unless you have an EZ-Pass. The Children's Museum has a lot going on for their 30th Anniversary this year, so that should be lots of fun as well. Will you be going to King's Dominion? It's just up I-95 in the Ashland/Doswell area.

WV
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know cause I had no idea about the toll booths! I didn't realize it was 45 minutes away either, but that doesn't seem too bad- it will be worth it to see the giraffes!!!

I have been debating on either King's Dominion or Busch Gardens. I don't know if I want to tackle a theme park that big on my own, my boys are a handful!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches near Richmond, VA

From Glen Allen to the zoo, you won't hit any tolls so long as you take Rt. 288. Which honestly is the best and fastest way to go. Tolls are only on Powhite Pkwy or the Downtown Expressway. Take 288 from Broad St (your hotel will be either on Broad or right off of it if you are in Glen Allen) and get off at Hull St heading west and drive about 5 miles. As you're heading out to no-man's land you'll know you're going in the right direction. The zoo has a tiny brown sign and it'll be a left hand turn. Look for the school which is beside the zoo. Drive time should be around 30 minutes each way.

Here are some great places to visit with your kids (mine are 4 and 6):

Go to Stony Point Shopping Center (it's an outside mall) and shop- but they have a splash pad and kids all the time come in their bathing suits and run around the fountains (free).

If you're in Glen Allen- you have 2 choices for a children's museum- the downtown one opened up a second branch in short pump (about 5 min from Glen Allen) but a bit smaller than the downtown location.

Go to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens (about $8)- beautiful place to walk around and the boys can run like mad. They also have a small splash pad so bring bathing suits and they can get wet. They also have a children's "tree house"- ramp goes all the way up. It's fantastic. We got married here.

Maymont Park. Free (unless you do the nature center and that's $2 each). Maymont is great. They have a petting "zoo" (goats, roosters, pigs) and some animals to see (cows, buffalo, deer, birds of prey, bears) and then the park has various areas- Japanese gardens (lots of cool bamboo hiding spots for boys who think they're in forts) and the Italian Gardens. Bring a lunch and water to drink and eat on the lawn somewhere. It's just beautiful.

Not sure I'd recommend Belle Isle as far as water play. There are rapids and I doubt you want to watch both boys since there's just one of you while your husband is training. However, if you want to just go on the walking path, then that would be lovely.

Tues and Wed, Regal Cinemas (one near Glen Allen) has kid movies for $1 at 10am- get there early.

I haven't been to Kings Dominion in years, but people I know (including me) recommend Busch Gardens for many reasons- including more shade, beauty and more family oriented and reputation is it's cleaner)- it's a really great theme park. But I agree- 2 by yourself at that age may be tough. But if your little one is in a stroller, then it's more manageable and definitely lots of kid areas.

Short Pump Towne Center (another very large outside mall) is nearby and it's nice. They have a little train that runs (about $2 each) that takes kids and parents around the mall during the day.

This recommendation will sound a bit crazy, but there's a great toy store not too far- from Broad St, find Gaskins Road and head south about 5 minutes). Gayton shopping center has a store called Toys that Teach. All sorts of toys are out for the kids to play with and mine have a blast. Great clothing store for kids beside it too.

Message me if you want any more ideas. Have a great time.