We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

boston, ma
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

I'm heading to Richmond, VA tomorrow morning, I have some flexibility in the time I leave but would like to get to Richmond in the early-mid afternoon. The last couple of times I've been in the DC area, I've sat in traffic for hours and would prefer to avoid that tomorrow. Is the traffic like that all day long or just in the windows around 8am and 5pm?

What would you recommend for a route from Allentown, PA tomorrow and what time would you recommend leaving to ease the pain of my family sitting in traffic trying not to kill each other :).

Thanks!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

From near Gettysburg, you can take US 15, then pick up US 17 near Linton Hall. Follow that down, and pick up I-95 a little north of Fredericksburg. Should take around 6 hours, without any stops. I came through DC on I-95/I-295(?), and sat in heavy traffic for about an hour extra because my GPS didn't understand that I wanted to be on US 15/US 17. US-15 is a divided highway most of the way and is a pretty pleasant drive, all things considered.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

Wish I could help you. I'm in Richmond and prefer to avoid anything north of Fredericksburg b/c of DC traffic. Good luck.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

oooh, that one isn't bad, I was looking at going over the chesapeake bay bridge, which is about the same distance but takes me thru pittsburgh and keeps me in fairly dense areas. it looks like this way i avoid major cities.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

Yes, I love the Eastern Shore; we were in Chincoteague last week, but taking I64 can be pretty congested due to the bridge/tunnels coming west from the beach areas.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

Made it in one piece, only problem was nobody mentioned we pass through Hershey, which due to the wife factor delayed us probably as badly as DC traffic would have :). Perhaps I'll take the shore route on the way back.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
419 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

So long as you're not returning on a Saturday, you should be okay. 64 is horrendous on Saturdays b/c of weekly beach rentals (people leaving, people arriving)...

boston, ma
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

We're hitting the road today around noon-ish from Myrtle Beach headed back to Boston. If I take 95, that should put me in the DC area around 7:30-8pm with a stop for dinner along the way. I would imagine by that time, traffic will be fine, so I intend to just head up 95.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

I'm glad your wife enjoyed Hershey - did you go to the Hershey World of Chocolate? I took the trolley tour, as well. A most enjoyable half day, all told. I hope the rest of the route down and back went/goes smoothly for you!

9. Re: Avoiding DC traffic tomorrow - Richmond from Allentown, PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:16