We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Hotel near Restaurants

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
382 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Hotel near Restaurants

Does any one know of a reasonable budget hotel within walking distance of restauants/steakhouses. Happy driving during the day but like a beer/wine at night time with meals

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

What's "budget" to you? How far are you willing to walk? Is it during the week or a weekend?

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

up to $50 , per night staying 9 nights to see civil war and other sites round richmond. 10 to 15 minute walk acceptable.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

I would be leary of any hotel/motel in the $50 range so be sure to research the location/area or post back here for an inquiry. Maybe 22Tango will have some ideas. I just looked up the InTown Suites that are $230/week, but the reviews are not good (or check to see if you can live with the compaints). Another option is the Massad House which is located downtown and they are advertising rates of $65 for 5-7 nights. Maybe you can negotiate a lower rate for 9 days?

http://www.massadhousehotel.com/booking.html

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

Yikes, I was hoping you were going to say double that. You can certainly try Massad House, and you may well be able to negotiate your desired rate for 9 days by calling them. If you keep your expectations in line with the price, you might find that is exactly what you're looking for. Or it might be memorable for other reasons.

Read the reviews here carefully before you make a decision. There's certainly plenty of places to walk to in that vicinity, including one of my favorites, Cafe Rustica, as well as Penny Lane Pub with a great British beer selection.

If you can stretch your budget, the Holiday Inn Express at 2nd and Cary St would be a better choice in the economy category.

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

thanks for that I've gone for the Wyndham at Short Pump, good reviews and $65 per night.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

YES! Short Pump area is perfect! If it includes breakfast, even better! There are not any Civil War sites in the direct vicinity but RIchmond and Mechanicsville are only 20 minutes away. Also, 45 minutes NORTH of Short Pump is Fredericksburg, and besides being a charming town with a great battlefield site (and Carl's ice cream), there is also the Chancellorsville and Wilderness battlefields (my great grandfather fought at Chancellorsville). Also, 1 1/2 hours west of RIchmond will be a nice way to conclude your trip with a visit to Appomattox. Makes for a nice day trip. But you probably already knew this.....

Edited: 20 August 2011, 16:39
uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

thanks keewart, I managed a day at Fredericksburg and Chancellorville this summmer, wasn't long enough, but you have to be fair to the other 3 companions who were not as Civil war interested as me , also spent 4 nights

at Williamsburg, really want to see the civil war sites around richmond, (maybe include a trip back to the Ferdericksburg to visit the ice cream shop.!!

Intend to see richmond and Petersburg, and maybe cold harbour, what are the not to miss places in Richmond ?

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

One summer, my son was being punished for two weeks "without screens" so he had two weeks to go through my dad's Civil War library that is now at my house. Since it perked his interest, that summer we did more Civil War touring than you can ever imagine. Did you know that Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried in a different place than the rest of him? I degress...

Petersburg will be a great place to tour

http://www.petersburg-va.org/tourism/ and spend a day. Pamplin Park is a nice, well done, private Civil War park, also in P'burg.

Cold Harbor is smaller, and I believe part of the "Richmond battlefield" sites. Make sure Tredegar Iron Works (museum and Visitor's Center) and Belle Isle (old CW prison location) are on your list and are walking distance from each other.

The White House of the Confederacy and the Civil War museum in downtown Richmond, and the newly remodeled State Capital visitors center is well worth your time. You can also tour the governor's mansion on the capitol grounds (check for days/times) and all are walking distance from each other.

There is not too much on the way to Appomatox, but the park itself is nice and seeing where Lee surrendered to Grant is amazing for the Civil War buff.

If you have already done WIlliamsburg, you may want to head west an hour from Short Pump (straight down I64) to Charlottesville, and tour Jefferson's Monticello and tour the "Lawn" at the Univeristy of Virginia. There are several (well, more than several) wineries in the C'ville area to visit, too. The mountains are a nice change of pace, depending what time of year you are coming.

Washington DC makes for a nice day trip from Richmond to tour some of the Smithsonian Museums (they are all free). Just plan around traffic (say leave Richmond after 8am and start home from DC around 7pm) or take the Amtrak train or the new Megabus from Richmond.

Jamestown (first settlement) is not civil war, nor is Yorktown (Revolutionary War Battlefield), but are an easy 1 hour drive from Richmond.

A National Parks Pass may be worth looking into to save a few dollars. If you have specific questions that I can help you with, please feel free to send me a personal message.

uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

Thanks Keewart

Edited: 21 August 2011, 08:15
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Hotel near Restaurants

Lots of good info, I see, I'll add my $0.02...

I would respectfully disagree that there is "not too much" to see on the way to Appomattox.

There are numerous sites along the route of Lee's Retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox.

civilwar-va.com/EAST/…retreat.html

Sailor's Creek Battlefield State park comes to mind as a site that my family enjoyed on the way to Appomattox.

Another Richmond site you might want to take in is Hollywood Cemetery, where two US Presidents are buried, as well as General JEB Stuart, Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, other Confederate generals, and I know that many other confederate veterans were buried there long after the war.

http://www.hollywoodcemetery.org/index.html

Hope you have happy and safe travels!