We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond with a two and a half year old

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
181 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
Richmond with a two and a half year old

My husband and I are going to a conference in Richmond the first week of June. Since I will be in the conference all day Saturday and Sunday, I was trying to get a list together of things to do for the hubby and son to do on their own. My husband LOVES history but I was unsure what historical places would accomodate a two (almost three) year old. My list right now includes the canal tours and the Maymont Plantation. I thought about saving other historical things for Monday and Tuesday which the part of the vacation I will be participating in as well. So we could tag team the baby while touring museums, etc. Any suggestions? Also what are must sees within driving distance of Richmond? We will have all day Monday and Tuesday and will have a rental car.

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
386 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Richmond with a two and a half year old

How far are they willing to travel? Williamsburg is not far and offers LOTS!!!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Richmond with a two and a half year old

Jamestown Settlement is great for all ages

Virginia Historical Society is great and free

Museum of the Confederacy

Hollywood Cemetery

St. John's Church-give me liberty/death speech

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Richmond with a two and a half year old

There is something special going on while you are visiting:

The 35th annual Greek Festival.

No, this is not about frats and sororities.

This is the festival put on by the Saints Constantine and Helen's Greek Orthodox Cathedral, and it is the best Greek food you will ever put in your mouth.

Very family friendly, it won't cost a thing to go and enjoy the music and dancing, and the food is worth the cost.

The last time we went (we are native Richmonders who have moved to the country) our son was 2 1/2 and as long as you have an umbrella stroller, he should be quite comfortable enjoying the sights and sounds and foods.

http://www.greekfestival.com/

I keep trying to get back for the festival but we seem to have a lot of graduations that weekend...

I am coming next year if I have to take vacation time to do it!

There is also the Children's Museum of Richmond...

http://www.c-mor.org/

Three Lakes Nature Center has a small aquarium little ones enjoy...

…henrico.va.us/rec/recreation-centers-facili…

Byrd Park (not too far from Maymont)

www.richmondgov.com/parks/parkbyrd.aspx

There's plenty to do in Richmond without needing to venture too far afield...

have a great visit- wish I were able to be there myself this weekend!

Salisbury MD
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Richmond with a two and a half year old

If it's pretty, go to Lewis Ginter botanical garden...Lots of things to see, and fun places for children...with even a spray area, so take towels.

5. Re: Richmond with a two and a half year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:16