We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety issues in Downtown

Reisterstown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Safety issues in Downtown

I've read lot's of warnings from traveler's reviews about security and safety around downtown hotels in Richmond.

How serious this problem is. And what is the better choice:

Hilton Garden Inn or Crown Plaza in the light of this issue?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

What are you doing there? Could go farther north to Ashland Village which is near Kings Dominion.

Never leave anything in your car.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Dominion
Kings Dominion
1,587 Reviews
Doswell, VA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

I'm not sure what reviews you are talking about, so I can't address any specific concerns.

Richmond is a city. Normal city smarts apply. I don't know of any safety concerns that are unique to Richmond.

In my opinion, most bad things happen after midnight and often in areas not frequented by tourists.

If you are touring during the day or attending an evening event, you'll be with other people and won't need to worry too much.

If your business requires you to be out alone late at night, that might be a different story.

Thefts from cars are common everywhere these days whether in cities, suburbs, resorts or wherever. Always lock your car and don't leave anything visible in it.

Hilton Garden Inn is convenient to the Convention Center, VCU's MCV campus and the Centerstage performing arts center. Not knowing the details of your visit, I would tend to recommend HGI over the Crown Plaza just because I like the location better. I have never stayed at either hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Richmond CenterStage
Richmond CenterStage
56 Reviews
Richmond, VA
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

I agree with the prior poster. Most problems are happening between midnight and 4 AM.

I go downtown, sometimes late into the evening, on a daily basis, and I have not had any problems. Downtown Richmond, however, is an urban environment and therefore you should take all the same precautions that you would in any large city.

I suggest the Hilton Garden Inn since it's newer and nicer. I put family up there and they liked it a lot. CP is closer to Shockoe Slip, so if you plan to eat in one of the restaurants in that area, then I would say CP might be a better location. There's plenty of restaurants within walking distance of HGI, though. I don't think the safety issue would be the determining factor between these two hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Shockoe Slip
Shockoe Slip
52 Reviews
Richmond, VA
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

Richmond is a safe city. That's the bottom line. As long as you don't wonder into a bad neighborhood at 2am (which wouldn't be easy) you will be fine.

The warnings are probably from people who have never been to Richmond... Honestly. Crimes in Richmond happen between drug dealers in neighborhoods you won't wonder into.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Reisterstown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

Thanks to everyone who took care to replay on my post.

But I have a question to ask. Why when people are asked about safe and not so safe areas of their cities they get so offensive?

Isn't it a common knowledge that there IS crime happens in EVERY big city and the tourists just want to know what neighborhoods in this point is better to avoid? What is so OFFENSIVE about it???

BTW you all mentioned the crime happening at night, but none of you actually ANSWERED my question which is WHERE it's happening most of the times, or EXACTLY what neighborhoods I shouldn't wondering around. Please give me the names of the streets or areas and then I will be EVEN MORE grateful to you all.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

I don't thing anyone has gotten defensive, just letting you know that like any other city there is an increase in activity after midnight. If you are looking for specifics for an area you can go to some of the crime maps and check the location you are going to stay in, the one I use when I travel is called Spot Crime. Here is the map for Richmond. http://spotcrime.com/va/richmond

Hope this is what you are looking for, have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Reisterstown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

Dear GitchSup,

Thank you so much for your up to the point response!

That's what I was looking for. We are not planing to take a walk at midnight of course, but it would be nice to know where is safe and where is not to walk after dinner up to 9pm around downtown.

I am sure we are going to have a great time in Richmond! Even the planing feels like fun : ).

Thanks again and have a great day.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
545 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

We truly discovered Richmond the weekend our daughter graduated from VCU. To us, walking near campus and down toward Shockoe Bottom, it felt safer than any part of Baltimore (except perhaps the Inner Harbor) and more welcoming. I'm trying to figure out when we can work in a weekend exploring the Fan district and the wonderful assortment of eateries.

Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Fan District
Fan District
67 Reviews
Richmond, VA
~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

You are from Maryland? It's the same as walking around in the Harbor- you can early see and get a feel for which areas are safe.

If it looks shady, don't wonder into that area.

Honestly, you are thinking about this too hard. It's not easy to just wonder into a bad area in Richmond.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety issues in Downtown

Walking at midnight is fine. Just he sensible and take your cue from the people around you. If it looks fine it is. As a general rule, there isnt much crime near the million dollar mansions downtown, but the drug markets in the public housing are pretty bad.

Put in broad terms, the northeast of the city, way outside the tourist areas and downtown, is the bad part. Church hill and west is fine, but if you leave an iPad on your car seat overnight, it might get grabbed