We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

Will be in Richmond next week with entire family (5 of us) to move our daughter to VCU. We are from Texas and have only been to Richmond once. Suggestions on best place to stay? would love some type of cottage rental with kitchen and 2 bedrooms but could not find much on vrbo.

What would be the best and safest hotel closest to the university?

Also how safe is the downtown area....seemed a bit shady when we were there in April. Thanks

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

Downtown is a safe area like any other downtown area- dont go looking for trouble and you won't find it.

I recommend staying in any of the hotels located in or near Shockoe Slip- very cool area!

The Omni

Or

The Berkley

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

Thanks! What about the west end...was looking at an embassy suites and crowne plaza. They are about 5-6 mi from campus. Is this a good area?

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

I assume you are talking about the Embassy Suites and Crown Plaza West located near the Glenside Drive exit off I-64. The area is fine. It's mostly strip malls, offices and chain restaurants. You will drive to anyplace you want to go.

Have you read the reviews? Based on the reviews on TA, the Embassy Suites seems to be the clear winner between those two choices. I have attended events there and would not hesitate to stay.

You could also check hotels near the Gaskins Road exit off I-64 a little further west.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

In that same "near west end" area there is a new(ish) Westin which is a good choice. I would really go for the Omni in Shokoe Slip if you can. It's a cool area of Richmond, and close to campus.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
479 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

+1 for Shockoe Slip area! Our daughter just graduated from VCU and we regretfully didn't really "discover" the coolness of RIchmond until graduation weekend.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express which is about halfway between campus and Shockoe, so can't speak about the Omni.

Don't fret overmuch about your safety while in town. There aren't knife wielding crazies hiding in every alley. Simply pay attention to who's around you, and don't flaunt valuables. In some areas, you might be approached by someone asking for spare change, but you won't get hounded or put in danger.

Move in week will be well "policed" I expect. You may wish you were as close to campus as possible. Traffic will likely be a bit crazy around the dorms and campus in general.

Our daughter moved from a dorm to off campus housing her sophomore year. Her roommate left the back door unlocked, and daughter's bicycle was stolen (as well as roomie's laptop - karma). Most of the crime around campus (as we experienced it) is opportunistic property theft: Items left accessible. Or drunken altercations.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

I agree with Shockoe Slip and the downtown area too. But I understand that not everyone is willing or able to pay the parking fees that are required for those hotels. For people who arrive by car, there are other hotels within an easy drive of downtown. I also agree that safety is not a major concern. Wherever you stay, do be sure to enjoy the attractions in the city.

7. Re: Best place to stay while moving daughter to dorm at VCU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 12:16