We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

In mid-August, we will be visiting Williamsburg, VA and then flying home from Richmond. We have an extra day that we would like to use to visit Monticello (my son and husband are huge president buffs). What I'm thinking is leaving Williamsburg first thing on that Tuesday morning, touring Jamestown (not sure Settlement or Historic yet) then heading on to Richmond for the evening and maybe take in a few sights there. Our flight does not leave until the following day, Wednesday, until late afternoon. So I was thinking to check out of our Richmond hotel Wednesday morning and head up to Monticello before turning around and heading for the airport early afternoon. Does this sound feasible with traffic and if so, would the recommendation be to stay on the northern side of Richmond to get to Monticello quickly? Any thoughts on the itinerary would be welcome.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

If you want to see the main Richmond sites, your best bet is to stay in a downtown hotel like the Omni or the Crowne Plaza, as they're closest to the main tourist areas. That would also make it easier to get on the Downtown Expressway (this is a toll road, seventy cents, and I'm assuming you're driving), which will take you to I-195, which in turn takes you to I-64 West to go to Monticello, about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Richmond. I-64 will also get you to the airport, allow about an hour and a half between Monticello and there. Traffic isn't too bad except around rush hours--and Richmond's rush hour is minor compared to Chicago! If you have any questions about what to see or where to eat in Richmond, feel free to ask me!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

It is always a little bit risky to venture so far from where you need to be to catch a flight, but if you decide to do it, I would stay as far west as you can, in the Short Pump area. It puts you closer to Charlottesville, and you can get there by going all the way around the north of Richmond on I-295. When you get back, come around the same way to get to the airport and you'll avoid anything going on locally in Richmond.

If you plan to get to Monticello as soon as it opens, you should have enough time to see something and still make it back, but you'll REALLY need to watch the time.

There are a lot of virtually brand-new hotels in the Short Pump area, just google it.

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

Did you know tha President James Monroes' Ashlawn- Highlands is a little more than 1 mile from Thomas Jeffersons' Monticello?

A different senario could be, leave Jamestown at Noon and drive to Charlottesville (approx. 2.25 hrs) and visit Ashlawn-Highlands. Spend the night and visit Monticello the next morning, in any case , allow 3 hours before departure time to get back to Richmond International.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

I agree that Short Pump might be the place to stay if your main concern is being close to Monticello. It will make your ride a little shorter but I also agree that staying in Richmond will make you a lot closer to the sites in town so it just depends what your main focus is. Short Pump is basically a large shopping center area that has a lot of nice restaurants; it definitely won't give you much of the feel for Richmond but it is nice and could be really convenient for your itinerary. If you stay down town I would check out Hollywood Cemetery. It has a few presidents buried there which sounds like it would be in line with your Monticello trip. The state capital also has a lot of presidential history. My suggestion, if you think you'll have time to do some Richmond sites then stay downtown but if you are just going to make it to Monticello stay in Short Pump.

5. Re: Overnight stay from Williamsburg to Charlottesville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19