We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good first date/day trip ideas?

Which Richmond hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisonburg...
1 post
Save Topic
Any good first date/day trip ideas?

I met this girl who has family there but she hasn't really lived there, and I've never been to Richmond before so are there any specific things to see or nice places to go for lunch/dinner? I was thinking of spending most of a saturday there. Preferably a good variety of things. Thanks for the help

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,625 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

I think you could find a lot to do, and plenty of restaurants in Carytown, in the heart of Richmond.

Shops, museums, restaurants, etc.

http://www.carytownrva.com/

I can recommend the Can Can Brasserie.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60893-d85…

Level Contributor
1,139 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

You don't say what time of year, assuming it is winter and you want to stay indoors - I recommend the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts on the Boulevard. It's free except for special exhibitions. There is a parking fee, but it's only $3 or $5, something like that. Also on Boulevard across the parking area from VMFA is the Virginia Historical Society, also free.

It is close to Carytown, so you could do museum, then go to lunch, then walk around, shop. Stores I like are Chop Suey Books, Phoenix, Bygones, World of Mirth, Plan 9 Records, Mongrel. Restaurants - Can Can is very good and impressive for a date, Galaxy Diner is very good home cooking with kitschy décor, Wheezies has good food and friendly bartenders but is kind of loud. Sweet Frog has frozen yogurt and topping bar, yummy for dessert. For love of Chocolate is close to Can Can in Cary Court shopping center and has the most fantabulous chocolate concoctions ever.

If on a Saturday you might like whatever is playing at the Byrd theatre http://byrdtheatre.com/ Most movies that show there are $2.

If you visit when weather is warm I would recommend Maymont or Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, both with lovely grounds you can hike for hours. Also walking over to Belle Isle in James River Park System, and going to Hollywood Cemetary and walking their lovely grounds. A fun place out of the way is Edgar Allan Poe museum which is in Shockoe Bottom area. Hope this helps!

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

There are plenty of things to do and TONS of good places to eat.

Give us a little bit of info on yourself, your interests, and when you plan to visit, and we can have a better idea of what to recommend to you.

Thanks for wanting to visit RVA!

Level Contributor
1,139 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

We just ate at Mellow Mushroom in Carytown this weekend, it is very good and has a great bar, forty beers on tap! Ambiance is modern, kinda loud, good for casual date.

Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

carrytown and/ or maymount

Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

best is also the cheapest.. hit carytown for a early dinner and bryd theater for a movie. youll spend less then 40-50 bucks for an amazing experience

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
83 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

Actually, my husband and I had a first date in Richmond[10 years ago]. It's a half way for us [I-Charlottesville. He- Woodbridge]. We went sight-seeing around Richmond. It's fun for a day -date trip. We started off at the Capital Building. Then we went to the canal walk and James River, which we walked trough the bridge- I forgot the name. And we finish our day at Maymont. My husband took me to the dinner afterward at Short Pump Town Center. It's a very nice place. I hope you have a great time there.

8. Re: Any good first date/day trip ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 07:18