We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day to look around

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
1/2 day to look around

G'day,

I will be travelling between Alexandria and Durham NC on a Saturday in April with my family. I'd like to take a look around Richmond and would like some advice. We will hit Richmond around 10am and would leave around 3pm. I'm planning on seeing the White House of the Confederacy and would like ideas on what else to do. My boys are 10 and 18.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1/2 day to look around

We enjoyed the Dinwiddie and Pamplin Historical Park which is outside Richmond en route to Durham. It highlights the Life of a Civil War Soldier and has exhibits that would appeal to all of your family. Well worth the stop.

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1/2 day to look around

The museum of the confederacy is right next door to the actual White House of the Confederacy that the museum gives guided tours thru, you can check tour times and plan around that. One block down is the Valentine History Center that has Richmond history, and a few blocks down Marshall St is the historic John Marshall house that has tours too.

So you can see a lot within a few blocks. The parking meters are not enforced on the weekends so you can park at a meter for free.

Are you interested in seeing the James River at all, or looking at the great blue herons roosting in the middle of the river on an island? Its very short drive to a small parking area and a walk along the river to view them closer, would take about thirty minutes, and I can give you specific directions if you are interested. Only great blue heron rookery in middle of a city in the USA! Also Richmond is only USA city with Class IV rapids in the middle of the city. Fun fact!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1/2 day to look around

Thanks to you both. This is very helpful. I've read all the things to do in Richmond but without any local knowledge it's hard to envisage the lay of the land. I'm really looking forward to stopping by in Richmond. Just a pity I don't have more time.

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1/2 day to look around

I think a tour of the historic Virginia State Capitol, designed by Thomas Jefferson, which is really a tour through the history of Virginia, is much more interesting than the old furnishings on show at the White House of the Confederacy. If you're really interested in Civil War history, the museum has much more to offer than the White House.

That, then lunch in Shockoe Slip, then if the weather is nice, a walk across the bridge to Belle Isle to see the whitewater and people enjoying the riverfront, which will start happening again once the weather turns nice again in April, would make a very nice few hour break.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 01:56
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,205 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1/2 day to look around

We liked the State Capitol, John Marshall House, White House of the Confederacy & the Museum next door, as others have suggested. Also thought the Holocaust Museum was excellent.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1/2 day to look around

With an avatar like yours, 22Tango, you didn't mention Hollywood Cemetery? lol ;)

Lots of Civil War history, and the resting place of two presidents, and much, much more.

hollywoodcemetery.org/history-slideshow.html

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1/2 day to look around

Is the Virginia Capital close to the Confederate Capital? I'm visiting Richmond for a day, as well.

jc

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1/2 day to look around

The Virginia State Capitol and the White House of the Confederacy are just a few blocks from one another. I believe that the Capitol building was used by the Confederacy.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1/2 day to look around

Thank you! Was it used in the movie Lincoln?

jc

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1/2 day to look around

I may be out of date, but is the museum and old house where Edgar Alan Poe wrote "The Raven" still open to the public? How about the old church where Patrick Henry proclaimed "Give me liberty or give me death"? As I recall they used to host "Unhappy Hour" in the late afternoon at the Poe house.