We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Parking Near VCU

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Parking Near VCU

My high school senior wants to spend Labor Day weekend with his friend who just began his freshman year at VCU and is living in the dorms. I'm OK with him driving to VCU (we live off I-95 in Northern Va), but have no idea of a safe garage or place he can park his car and leave it for two nights. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 00:51
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
417 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Parking Near VCU

VCU has a lot of school-owned parking decks "on campus". In particular, I'm thinking about one located across from the Siegel Center on Broad St. and one located by the Altria Theater on Main St. I'm not sure which dorm his friend lives in, but I would feel comfortable leaving my car in either one overnight, but definitely the one on Main Street by Altria- which is closer to the dorms anyway (if he's in Rhoades Hall/Johnson Hall, etc...)

Also- if he's willing to walk 5+ blocks there are lots of on-street options too and leaving your car there is no more dangerous than leaving it anywhere in any city (edited to add- many areas around VCU are residential so while it may be a bit more dangerous than a suburban driveway, most areas are perfectly safe). The bigger concern is to make sure it's a legal place to park. Richmond streets are tricky b/c they have street cleaning days, certain hours of each day, funny no- parking arrows, etc... that turn into no-parking zones. If he wants to park on the street and he's trying to get to the dorms by Monroe Park (also where Altria Theater is), look for parking on Grove, Floyd, West Ave, Park all run east/west and park just 'west' of Harrison St (which runs north/south). You can look at a map for where I'm talking about. Those are all residential areas- but again - just check the street signs b/c they too have funny parking areas.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 16:21
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Parking Near VCU

A lot of the street parking west of Belvedere is by permit only, so watch for that; the car will be towed if he's in the wrong place. Better to park in one of the decks as Chamdex suggests and pay by the day.

See the following for restrictions for parking in that area: VCU and much of the area described above is in Fan Zone 1.

www.richmondgov.com/Parking/FanDistrict.aspx

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Parking Near VCU

You don't have to feed the parking meters on Saturday or Sunday. I would recommend parking on the street around Leigh or Marshall streets. As noted above, BE SURE to READ the street signs, if its an area that says it requires a permit, pay attention to that.

The VCU campus police office is on Grace st, they are helpful, and folks working at the parking garages may be helpful with suggestions. He should use ordinary precautions, make sure belongings are locked in trunk or out of sight, that kind of thing.

4. Re: Overnight Parking Near VCU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:15