We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

Hi everyone,

I would be staying in Richmond for a training visit from 27th Nov to 7th Dec 2006?

Really need help in looking for a suitable accomodation for my family of 5(me, hubby & 3 kids aged 9,7 and 3 yrs).

We are from Singapore and this is our first visit to the US.

Need a place that hve the following amenities in the room:

coffee-making, microwave,fridge, TV/cable and ensuite-bathroom.

As i need to travel daily to my training institute(located at 1941 Reymet Road, Richmond) the inn/serviced aprtments should be located where there is extensive transportation system.

Anyone knows how far is this training institute from downtown Richmond.

As I'll be working during the weekdays, i hope to find an accomodation that is also close to tourist attractions/parks that my hubby and kids can go to during the day.

What's the rate of car rental in Richmond?

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

Hi fam73! Best wishes for an enjoyable stay in the US. Richmond is a very nice city to visit and is close to Washington, D.C., Williamsburg, beaches, and the mountains, if you have any time for travel while you are here.

I looked up the address you gave, found the website, and pasted it below. If you go to this website and click on "contact us", then click on "directions" and then "map it", you will be in the Expedia website. You will see a map of the location where you will be training, and if you click on "see a list of hotels in Richmond", a list of hotels near your training site will appear.

You can click on each hotel to get a description and you can also look them up here on Trip Advisor to get reviews and descriptions of them.

Just a thought, but possibly the facility where you will be training could help you with the process of finding a hotel. If they frequently have clients traveling there for training, they should offer that information for you.

Richmond car rentals start at around $30 a day and often you can rent a car on the weekends for half the amount of a weekday rental.

Your training site is about 15 to 20 minutes from downtown Richmond.

I hope this helps you!

MB

http://www.aristalabs.com/

http://www.enterprise.com/

Virginia
Level Contributor
377 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

I am from the suburbs of Richmond. Unfortunately when I looked up your address, you are located south of Richmond's downtown area by about 15-20 miles.

I am not sure, but I don't think that staying in that area would be the best idea. I do believe it is not the best area of Richmond.

If you stayed downtown, and had a rental car, then your husband could walk around downtown while you are at training. Downtown is small and public transportation is not the best. Richmond is a small city and some of the city is not very nice.

Downtown, the Omni is a nice hotel with some nice restaurants nearby. I don't know about microwave, but you most likely can request a fridge.

Some things to see in Richmond area:

Maymont Park

Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens

Carytown (north end of Cary St) Funky shops and restaurants. VA Art Museum

Virginia Children's Museum and Science Museum(next door to one another)

James River/ Brown's Island

Richmond is the state capitol and has it's official building downtown.

South of Richmond is the Pamplin Park in Petersburg. I have not been, but my kids have on school trips. It is a civil war reenactment camp.

East of Richmond on Rte 5 are some Plantations of the old south.

Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens Theme Park is about an hour and a half east of Richmond on Rt. 64

West of Richmond on Rte 64 is Charlottesville where President Thomas Jefferson's home Monticello is.

Washington DC is about 2 hours north. The Smithsonian Museums are free and they are fabulous. It is a long drive and can have some traffic to DC.

You may actually need two cars to get you to your training and your husband around town.

I live just west of Richmond and it is just the suburbs, houses and restaurants and shopping malls. Nothing exciting.

I hope that I have helped you somewhat. It is tough to come from a place so far away and not know the area. I am not all that familiar with the area of your training. Sorry.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy Richmond. Feel free to ask more questions. I will try to answer them!

MD
Level Contributor
29 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

I would consider the Jefferson Hotel. You would have to travel to your training site by car, but your family would have access to downtown by foot, and the staff at the hotel is gracious and incredibly helpful, particularly for long-stay customers. They even are pet-friendly. http://www.jeffersonhotel.com/

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

MollyB, Movedsouth & sweatpea,

Thank you soooo much for your valuable comments and suggestions. I shall start making enquiries on the hotels recommended. Hope you can still assist if i have further questions to post.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

Of course, fam73! We will do our best anyway. Feel free to ask and good luck with your research.

MB

6. Re: Where's the best place to stay in Richmond?Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 04:18