We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time share

Which Qawra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
time share

hello all

new to site

after having been to malta before and staying in the saint pauls qawra/buggiba area on four holidays really love malta and the people very friendly stayed at white dolphin also portoazzro and gillorou have not been for the last four years for the fact of been pestered by time share i am not the politest of people but nothing seemed to work apart from nearly getting into a fight are these people still on every street corner would love to go back but dont need hassle of time share

any replies on the situation would be a help cheers

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time share

Surely the answer is to say that last night you signed up to a timeshare at say the Radisson at Golden Bay or any other timeshare location that you know of.

The Radisson do have timeshares at Golden Bay.

I occasionally get calls on my mobile from companies promoting timeshares, I string them along and when they say that we have an offer say in Cyprus, I say that i prefer Malta. Some then go onto offer me a promotional week at one of the timeshares, one I believe was at the Coastline at Qawra, I declined that, then was offered something at Sliema, I declined that saying that I prefer a sandy beach rather than the salt pans at Qawra or Sliema. After some persistance from the lady I said why would I want a timeshare at Sliema or Qawra when I have a perfectly good one at the Radisson at Golden Bay. They get p***** off having spent a fortune phoning a UK mobile and usually do not ring again.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time share

Glad to see that the add came up for the other timesare place.

The touts are still around and they are still the same ones that blight Malta. (Wigan, The Grusome Twosome and the bloke from Deuce Bigalow et al) Quite literally the best thing is to just say no. You do not want their free offer, you do not want to try their "prize draw" or whatever their hook line is. If they continue ask to check their ID card as you intend to report them. I'm willing to bet they will step away quite quickly.

I don't generally get bothered in Qawra these days but elsewhere if I am accosted I simply say to them I currently charge £155 per hour or part thereof for my services and ask them if they would like the full hour or they would like to extend for 2 hours so you can book them in. .. seems to do the trick

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time share

Scubapro has the right idea.

Remember that these people on the street do not care if you want to buy a timeshare. They get paid simply for taking you there so telling them you already own a timeshare will not stop them hastling you.

Be strong willed and do not get into a conversation with them.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time share

thanks for the info will have a think about returning but the pests still put you off been going to greece and never had one bit of hassle by time share never see any

cheers richie

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time share

Funny I have never had a problem with timeshare touts in Malta and I have been going to Malta about 18 times since the early eighties, last time was 2008, returning again August 2010.

May be a problem in Qawra, but not a problem that I have encountered in Mellieha, Valletta or Sliema. Have not been to Bugibba for about 5 years and prior to that never had a problem.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time share

maybe it is time for

me to look at other parts of malta

where we can have a relaxing time thanks for the info

richie

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time share

w619xns

I am sorry that you have suffered from timeshare touts. As you are considering looking at other parts of Malta to return to, may I suggest looking in the Mellieha area. I do not know your budget, but there is a viarity of apartments and hotels in this area and as a bonus Mellieha bay is the largest sandy beach on the Island.

Chris

wigan
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time share

I have always had trouble in Qawra with timeshare touts some are now friendly like the mum and daughter duo by the Riza but most of my trouble comes from the short haired southerner wide boy one and his cronies that hang around the bus terminus not sure if he has a brother .

It was so bad one year i threatened to put him in hospital to which i had other touts coming to my hotel to apologise for him, but what i hate most is when i am sat on a bench in ST PAULS looking out to sea reading the Malta times and they jump out of the car and disturb my relax time UUUUHHH AND AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time share

yeah they are still there but if you smile and say no thanks or i live here

they wont bother you But if you have a go at them [which is easy] then they pass it on to the rest and they all bother you just to wind you up ,i have been going to malta since 1993 almost every year and 1993 was the last time i was bothered by any of the time share

just try it it works dont let them spoil it.

boltonuk
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: time share

I have to say that they have calmed down to what they used to be like 12 - 24 months ago. A polite but stern No! to which you may have to say twice and they will turn away. Do not smile and say good morning or engage in any conversation with them.

Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations