We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help an reassurance needed!!

Which Qawra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Qawra, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help an reassurance needed!!

Hello everyone, am travelling to Malta alone in Oct and unfortunatly i broke my leg 2 weeks ago so am in plaster. A certain irish based airline has been very helpful in assisting me with wheelchair access but im still in 2 minds as whether to go or not. Im staying with family once there so thats not a problem but im worried about the journey. Can anyone tell me of their experiences in a simalar position. Many thanks

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

I would probably try to delay the holiday because flying is not comfortable with an injury, although, conversely airport transfer are great since you normally go by buggy to departures and through arrivals. I once travelled home from a skiing holiday with a leg injury which was ok, but despite getting a front seat for more legroom, the flight was uncomforable. My husband once flew home with a badly fractured leg, straight from the hospital (yes another ski injury) and he had to take 2 seats, one directly infront of the other so that he could keep his leg straight. I think it really depends on the extent of your injury, i.e. an ankle break may be easy to cope with. If your family are meeting you at Luqa this will also be helpful since they can deal with your luggage.

Basically if you feel able to cope with it, and more importantly (for the airline) your doctor signs you off as fit to fly, then go for it and enjoy recouperation in Sunny Malta.

Whatever you decide wishing you a speedy recovery.

Edited: 24 September 2010, 14:46
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

If you are getting help from a certain Irish airline then make the most of it as it doesn't happen very often. (tongue in cheek honest!!)

I think the biggest problem is the way extremities swell once in the air. As long as your cast isn't too snug it shouldn't be too bad. I've travelled to Malta, Italy and Germany while having legs that didn't work (they weren't broken but never worked due to an allergic reaction) .. I found all of the airlines and airport staff very helpful. I would say that you have to do your bit too like being in the right place at the right time so they can give maximum assistance. Do remember though that if you are accompanied your companion may well have to make their own way to the gate and leave you in the hands of the airport/airline staff.

Go for it. Warmer weather does aid recovery and helps those muscles that feel tired from lack of use.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

Ask your doctor for some hints to help you while travelling.

Qawra, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

Thank you everyone for the wise words. I have been signed off fit to fly and the irish airline say the cast is fine after 2 days so hopefully swelling wont be a problem! If u had seen it before the cast went on it didnt even look like a foot so things can only get better! I think i will go for it an hope the weather stays warm for me!! Thanks again x

Qawra, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

decided to go to malta a week early an i have to say assistance at luton an malta were first class. i was taken from special assistance to plane an was even offered assistance to the loo or bar or shops!! I was wheeled through passport control first and was out of the airport within ten mins of landing. (oh a quick vip bar visit to fill in my assistance form) I would say to anyone with any worries like i had to have an easy mind as everyone is sooo helpful an lovely. A wheelchair in malta was 5 euro a day an far less if u had it for a week which was amazing value althought some roads were quite an event.!! Thank u again everyone x x

Qawra, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

Also i forgot to say that a friend travelled home with me an was allowed to have a reserved seat an to accompany me the whole way and even to carry my bag!! Thank u a certain irish airline

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

Good to know that there are still caring people about.

8. Re: Help an reassurance needed!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2011, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations