We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

qawra/bugibba man made beach?

Which Qawra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
qawra/bugibba man made beach?

is this beach actual sand or small stoney stuff?

thanks

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

If you read the top questions about Qawra on the top right - could you tell me what Qawra is like - it gives a summary. But to quickly answer your question. There is very little in the way of a sandy beach but two hotels have small man-made sandy private beaches on Bugibba front which I think if you are not staying at these hotels you can pay to go on. It is generally mostly rocky with, in parts, flat places which give access to the sea. Further round the bay there is a lido. The excellent sandy beaches can be found at Mellieha and Golden Bay. I think you wrote in an earlier posting that you were hiring a car so no problem getting there - about 15/20 mins by car. Local buses also run to both beaches but not sure what the current situation is with the buses as there have been problems since a new operator took over in July.

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

The sandy beach in Bugibba is not associated with a hotel and is free to use by anyone. It is not huge but is OK with nearby toilets and refreshments.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

Ned - the two small sandy beaches I was thinking of are associated with The Dolmen and San Antonio. As you say there is a very tiny beach in Bugibba which is why I wrote there is very little in the way of beaches. If , with small children, you want to experience a big beach best to head for Mellieha were you can walk on the sand or waters edge for quite a distance.

Sussex
Level Contributor
268 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

Andy P

The sand is not fine grade that you would probably expect on a natural beach. It is somewhat coarser, I guess that it is so it doesn't blow/wash away.

The beach itself is divided from the sea by a concrete bund, not dissimilar to the shape of a speed hump which I assume is there to stop the sea washing the sand away.

As I remember it, there are a couple of ladders allowing access to the sea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

lovewarmercli...

The original query wasn't about the size of the beach, rather its composition.

I didn't say the Bugibba beach was "very tiny" I said it wasn't huge, which is not the same. The Bugibba beach serves its purpose and is OK if you want to take the kids down for a paddle and don't want to suffer the long wait for a bus to get to Mellieha.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

My experience of the St Pauls Bay coast line is that there are no sand beaches in Qawra - just rocks which some enjoy sitting/lying on if you can find a flat rock. In Bugibba there are a few small coarse sandy or wee stone type beaches. If you want a larger beach you need to drive to to the nearby beaches of Mellieha/Ghadira, Ghajn Tuffieha, Golden Bay or Paradise Bay.

Enjoy your holiday on Malta.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

or for a truly malti experience of beach life - try Armier and Little Armier - very very malti stylee. and if you want to go a little further afield towards Mgarr try the gnejna bay beach - flat shallow and gritty sand beach but a little safer than ghajn tuffiejha and golden bay - watch for the currents ok they are dangerous and cant be seen. gan canny and have fun..enjoy your visit

msida-malta
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

Qawra man-made beach is public and its free. This beach is good only to sunbathing as to sweem it's same rocky beach .... For those like me who dont like to sweem in sandy beaches around qawra area there a lot where one can sweem .But i agree sandy beaches like Mellieha Bay, Golden Sands, Armier bay in north and B'Bugia Bay and St Thomas Bay in the south of the island are great bays..... have a nice day .... Anthony Malta.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

Anthony

Where is the man-man beach in Qawra? As far as I am aware there are only rocks in front of Sunny Coast resort, Suncrest, Qawra Palace and all along Qawra coast line. Do you mean in Bugibba?

msida-malta
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: qawra/bugibba man made beach?

For you maybe Bugibba and Qawra are different places but in fact are the same place/area, In the past we use to call all the area as St Pauls/St Pauls Bay then the area was expanded .... but for your information and for others the small manmade sandy beach is infront of the Dolman Hotel .... and as i daid it's good just to sanbathing as still the area is rocky beack which after all i like this.

Have a nice day

Anthony - Malta

Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations