We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Malta from US

Spring, Tx
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Malta from US

Has anyone flown to Malta from the US? We will fly Continental, but aren't sure if we should fly into London or Frankfurn. Also, which airline to fly from Europe to Malta. Thanks in advance!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Malta from US

Airmalta operates daily flights from London Heathrow and Gatwick , but not everyday from Frankfurt .

Lufthansa also operate this route from my memory.

I would try both locations and check the transfer times between flights .

Give us a departure point and a date and we can help better , if you wish ?

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Malta from US

Easyjet are one of the cheaper airlines from the UK to Malta but they usually only fly from the smaller airports, they've expanded in the past few years though so might fly from one or two of the London airports. Its a budget airline but for a couple of hour flight it doesn't matter too much. Maybe check them out www.easyjet.com

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Malta from US

Hello and it is only Gatwick easyjet fly from to malta and indeed a handful of other airports in the Uk so it is best to check first but Easyjet are always looking to set up new routes.

Good luck Toby.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Malta from US

I have a trip organized with some friends coming to Malta from Canada where I am meeting them at London Heathrow then carrying on the journey on Air Malta. The hiccup that we have is the terminal changes at Heathrow. They fly in at Terminal 5 and then the onward journey is via Terminal 4.

These terminals are not so close together and we don't know if they are going to have to clear immigration at terminal 5 prior to transferring to terminal 4.

At Gatwick I know you can (usually) stay airside for connecting flights for transAtlantic flights but would love to hear if anyone has any experience of the Heathrow palava such as catching a "secure transfer" type bus or if there is a way to avoid UK immigration for no other reason than that they are so inefficiently slow and are by far the most stressful part of travel into & out of the UK.

Were my friends not meeting me in London for the onward leg of the journey I think they might have opted to fly to a different part of Europe (e.g. Frankfurt) because they have a more relaxed transfer routine

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Malta from US

I think you'll find in states of heightened security that a lot of countries immigration is the same. If you're not an EU citizen then you have to go through those kinds of things,.

I travelled to Canada 10 years ago when foot and mouth was present in the UK and we got treated like leppers upon arrival in Canada. I don't hold it against Canadian customs, it is something that was needed, albeit not that friendly.

Times have changed and so any immigration or security checks should also be expected in the climate of today.

That said if you're an EU citizen flying from EU country then passport control is a breeze either from the UK, to it or from and to any other EU country. At least the EU is good for something and we can take advantage of those benefits :)

6. Re: Flying to Malta from US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations