We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

Cardiff, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

07 March 2012, 16:39

170steve,

Cardiff, United Kingdom,

1 forum posts

hi all this is my first time abroad iam going with grandparents in sept of this year i cant wait but iam stuck on how much cash to save up as spending money ?

anyone can help that would be great .

: self caterring

im 19 but will be drinking hardly with my grandparents the

main things i guess will be food drink and "spending" money"

also things like day trips activities etc

they did say they never go out for breakfast they have something at the apartment but they did say they will be eating for lunch and evening meal obvs.and its the little things like soft drinks and stuff

if anyone can give me any pointers as dont want to be stuck with no cash and be like "nan" :)

im going on a weekly basis here .

14 nights to qwara /bugibba

any help would be great thanks all

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

Who can tell, its a hard one to tell what money people need. I went in feb for a week, ate out a few times, this that, bars, etc and i spent £350. Now you will go site seeing, gifts,transport, entrance fees, etc. Supermarket food is not cheap in Malta

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

This is always a difficult question !!

Let`s see what we can work out.

As you are there for 14 days allow 24 euros for two weeks bus tickets based on 12 euros per week. This will take care of your transport costs.

Have a decent breakfast in your appartment then have a snack lunch. If you allow 5 euros per day for this you should be well on the right side .

That comes to 70 euros.

Evening meal . Unless you tend to eat in expensive restaurants , I would allow 10 euros a day , 140 euros in all.

Beer money . There are bars that do a pint for a euro but an averge would be 2 euros a pint so if you have a couple per day that adds up to about 50 euros

A couple of hundred euros for visits and entertainments .

All together this all adds up to about 500 euros.

If you can afford to take more do so as you can always take some home.

You could of course spend a lot more but I have tried to work out a figure for someone wanting to keep to a budget.

Hope this is of some help.

Graham

Cardiff, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

Thanks everyone . Graham is 500 for the fortnight ? So if i say that as a Target and i do expect to save a little extra just in case thanks and regards

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

In my opinion 250 euros a week is not enough. Who wants to go on holiday counting the pennies to that extreme. I am not saying you go to blow your hard earned cash, but its a holiday and i like to go on holiday and come back with money to spare.

Cardiff, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

Thanks again joe , what would you advise me. To take a week to be safe i hardly drink and Not a big eater aint that what most of the cash. Goes on ?

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

How much can you afford, you can change money in a lot of shops in Malta. If money is an issue just take as much Stirling as you can afford and change when needed. I would hate for you to go with to little and end up ruining your holiday worrying if your money is going to last.

When one is on holiday, it just ends up going, where who knows but it does, things soon add up and if you buy the odd things for the apartment, food, drinks, washing powder etc, that soon adds up, even if its not a lot you buy. Like we both said its hard to judge what others will spend, but i advise taking more and not the minimum

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

My figure of 500 euros ( 250 a week ) was based on someone wanting to stay on a budget.

The more you take the more you will spend ---- thats one of life`s rules !

If you don`t drink much , don`t take lots of unwanted presents back and are a bit carefull I stick to my figures.

Of course if you can afford to take a bit more do so .

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday.

Graham

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

Not sure i agree with you about the more you take the more you spend. He can still be frugal if needs be, but you don't want to go on holiday and worry that you are down to your last euro. As for unwanted presents, whose to say they are unwanted. Sounds a bit negative to me. Then you contradict yourself by ending it with if you can afford to take more do so. So in the end you agree, take more to be on the safe side, if you can afford too.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

I wasn`t trying to contradict myself but of course if the OP can afford to take more then perhaps he should.

I was merely trying to help someone who seems to be on a tight budget.

Lots of gifts are bought unnessesarily and again if you are on a budget it seems sensible to cut back.

Just trying to air on the side of caution.

Graham

Cardiff, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on spending money how much per week going for 14 days

I do thank you both for your help and advice i will be on a budget . And i do intend take more of course . Nobody will be getting gifts its Not like trecco bay :) and paying 80 pounds for a pictured document aka passport dont help .. Im Sure ill get through , i dont even want to start about clothing wash and wear here i come Sure my nan wont see me penniless its booked now so 200 a week or 1000 im.getting on that plane if i need help i know WHERE to come thanks again

Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations