We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes?

Hi

Are there many mosquitoes in malta? I'm just wondering whether I need any repellent, plug ins etc

Thanks

Fiona

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes?

There are mosquitoes in Qawra but they are not as bad as some places.

A lot depends on the time of year and the weather conditions.

I was there between November and Febuary and had very little problems BUT I took my plug in and some repellant just in case !

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes?

When I said `other places` I meant `other countries `

Graham

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes?

Thanks Graham

Valletta, Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes?

YES

Bring plenty repellent and make sure you use it. The little blighters come out from dusk till dawn.

A little tip if you do get bitten, rub the bite with the inside of a banana skin, seriously, it stops the itching within 5 mins and helps heal faster.

Hope this helps, have a great vacation

Jake 436 Ex Pat

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes?

Hi FionaS1980,

Being a country with an all year pleasant climate Malta does have mosquitoes, more so in the summer months, but this year there has been a noticeable decline in numbers. Some years are worse than others, but to most people they are more of a nuisance than a problem. For the people who suffer from mosquito 'bites' there are plenty of repellents available at various outlets.

Have a good 'bite free' holiday.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes?

The worst thing is when you leave your windows wide open and switch on the light - it seems to attract them. So close the windows before you switch on. Some people seem to be more attractive to the mosquitos - who knows why. You could use repellent to put your mind at rest.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes?

I have read that it's a certain flavour of cholesterol that attracts the blighters. They must like mine because they certainly make a bee-line for me, or should that be a mosquito-line? We shall be in Malta this coming November. I usually have very few problems with them during the month of November, wherever we visit in the Med area.

Apparently if you include marmite regularly in your diet that tends to put them off. Must put something in the blood. Can't say I'm a fan of marmite myself.

I must remember that tip about the banana skin. That's a new one on me. Cheers.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 13:43
Greater London...
Level Contributor
480 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes?

I react very badly to insect bites so I asked about mossies/biting insects on another Forum (Istanbul) as I am going there in September. I'm planning a trip to Malta next year. Someone recommended using Avon's Skin So Soft (original) as a repellent. I must say I was sceptical, thinking the recommender was an Avon agent etc. Anyway, I got some (on Amazon) and have been trying it out when gardening this Summer. When I have not used it I've been bitten by something. When I've had it on I have not been bitten at all. Hardly scientific I know, but worth Googling to see what others say.

Bolton UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes?

Avon Skin So Soft definitely works. It was recommended to us by a Scottish ranger and was apparently used by the marines in Belize [although presumably they kept that quiet!] I've heard it works better if mixed with alcohol but externally or internally I've no idea!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes?

i came home from bugibba on thurs just gone, now i harly ever get bitten but i was eaten alive this time, so yes take all the stuff you can.

Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations