We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Walks

We love walking along the coast, mountains or around towns. Are there any good walks to/from Bugibba or even a bus ride away. Thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks

In resort, you can walk around the Qawra peninsula along a paved promenade.

If you are a serious walker best get a bus to the more rural areas; Siggiewi, Qrendi, Dingli, Wardija, Mgarr Marfa Ridge etc. Malta is not naturally a walker's island due to it's small size. dense population and vast quantity of cars. Good walking can be had though. Familarise yourself with bus routes as you can often walk from one area to another.

If you are here in late July or August, it's simply to hot to hike.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks

There are several informal walking groups that meet up some days between 9 and 9,30 at the bus station,

Might be worth having a look.

Graham

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks

We are going in June so hopefully not too hot for walking. Will look into bus routes and try walks between resorts etc thanks.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks

Malta being quite small it is easy to wander around villages and walk from one to another as there is usually a bus handy to get you back even if it means going to Valletta first.

Many of the rural villages are really nice to stroll around ---- get a bus to Zebbug , lovely old place and perhaps meander your way to Siggiewi.

I worked for a holiday company in malta many years ago and used to lead gentle rambles and some of these village walks were very popular.

Even the built up urban areas can be very interesting. I spent some time wandering around the back streets of Birkirkara and enjoyed seeing what there was to see and chatting to people in the street.

Another popular short walk is along the front from Sliema to Msida passing by the marina . You can carry on from there through Pieta and Floriana and on to Valletta..

There are plenty of interesting walks .

Graham

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks

I bought a great book in Malta a few year's ago called Malta 10 Great Walks by McMahon & Henwood.

I've done quite a few of the 10 successfully.

On Amazon it's only on sale for kindle, which I don't think is practical for walking with, but you might still be able to buy the book in Malta, best place would be Agenda Bookshop in Valletta.

Tourist Information also had some walking leaflets, again in Valetta.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks

Thank you for your tips will certainly explore villages and will have a look for that book

Edited: 11 May 2017, 22:31
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks

Is this book you are talking about greatwalksmalta.com/buy-the-books/the-walks/

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks

Yes, that's right. I only have the original Malta one.

I'll have a look to see if the others are in the shops when I'm there as I'm returning soon.

But you have time to order by post I should think.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walks

This book may be very useful. I have done several of the walks in it.

Available from Amazon

sunflowerbooks.co.uk/product/…

Graham

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walks

We were there in late March and it was pretty hot for walking even then as there's so little shade. We took the bus from Rabat and walked the spectacular walk from Had Dingli via Fawwara to the Blue grotto taking the 201 bus back to Rabat (we stayed in St Julians). We also walked along the coast to Valletta and around Rabat but we went over to Gozo for three days and for such a small island there are a lot of walks, in fact the whole coastline. We walked from Ramla Bay to Xlendi in two days.

Walks with downloads

http://www.victorialinesmalta.com/

http://www.visitmalta.com/en/walks

Sample of coastal walks

greatwalksmalta.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

We acquired all the walking maps in Valletta Tourist Information but had to ask as they were in the back.

It would be easy enough to go to Gozo from Bugibba even if it was just for the day, if you decide to go there let me know and I can give you some ideas with bus links.

Get answers to your questions about Bugibba